Author Topic: Whisk[e]y  (Read 9637 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Whisk[e]y
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 11:03:44 AM »
My drinking choices are changing - I wouldn't say they are evolving - just changing. I've tried expensive whiskey and scotch and it is not my cup of tea. These days I enjoy a common Jameson with ginger [beer] or a sweet Canadian whiskey with Coke. But I'll take good ol' clear and chilled vodka like Titos or Finlandia over any colored stuff.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 12:56:23 AM »
I think I knew something similar before, but tonight I learned, "eight companies produce over 99% of the whiskey made in the U.S."

I guess its kinda like how coke and pepsi own 60% of the soda market and Atria and Reynolds run 86% of the cigarette sales in the US. 

Its just weird I guess because, with so many individual whiskey brands, it feels to me like they are in more competition with each other but really, they're all (practically) the same company.  Some products conjure more brand loyalty then others. Whiskey has always seemed like one of those things products.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 08:32:41 AM »
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 12:09:59 AM »
I have like 5 empty bottles of woodford reserve next to my desk. its my new goto but I need to find something a little cheaper I think. wooodrffed is like $35 abottle. i mean, i could always go bakc to jack daniels, my first love, but i've started t o reallly love woodford.  I likke makers mark and knob creeek too..  thos arew a few $dollars cheaper but not by much.  whats a good alternative that less but just as good>?/./?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »
Cheapest drinkable ones are probably going to be Jim Beam. White, black, double oak, depending on your preference but those should be readily available and inexpensive comparatively. Nothing special but perfectly fine. They should be smooth like Makers but they won't be as "rich" flavored as Woodford.

Instead of Woodford, maybe try looking into Old Forester 86 (smooth) or 100 (a little more bitey like Knob). They're from the same distilling family and while not exact substitutes do share a lot in common. The 86 should be cheap. Old Forester 1920 took the spot as my favorite from Woodford Double Oak, so I'm a fan of the line.

My latest recently is Elijah Craig though, which I think is a bit cheaper than Woodford but on par.

And while I haven't had it, Four Roses yellow label is supposed to be decent. I've had their small batch and single barrel and liked them both.

Also, check out the 375ml section for some options too just to try something new. It's cheaper than committing to a whole bottle of something. And for the Jim Beams I think they should have hotel sample bottles of most of those for a couple bucks to try and see if you like any of them.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 02:36:47 AM »
a couple weekends ago, when visiting my friend, he bought me a gift of box of Glenmorangie Highland Ingle Malt Scotch whisky samplers.  It was like $45 for four 100mL bottles.  A kind gesture.  Anyway, they've been sitting on my desk at home since then but tonight I cracked a couple of them open.  They're definitely better than my past experiences with Johnny Walker and the like but...

I can say with confidence now, I just don't like Scotch.  I mean, I'm going to drink all of these bottles tonight, but I would never pay for them.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 08:21:34 PM »
Mmmm. It's been a while for this thread. I've got a new regular in my cabinet now. The barrel proof Elijah Craig.

Micah, Scotch is a pretty wide gamut I think. While I'm more of a bourbon and rye fan, I do sort of like some of the more sherry scotches, but I'm not a fan of the peaty, smokey ones. Something like an Aberlour 12 or even a Nikka Coffey Grain might be a nice bridge between the bourbon and Scotch worlds.