Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 64958 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2020, 10:22:02 AM »
ouch.

EDIT: I will also add, since my wife's business depends largely on people buying what I will call 'less essential items', her sales have taken a massive hit.  A good part of her business is invitations and of course no one is buying those.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2020, 10:50:09 AM »
That's rough...

On the other hand, some retailers like Amazon are likely seeing massive increases. I know MS Azure had over 1000% increase on resource requests in their data centers. Massive shift in where $$ are going.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2020, 12:53:15 PM »
We are talking about going back home in the next week or so. Looks like things are calming down a bit, and even though we love it here in the forest, there is that itch to go back. I can't quite put my finger on it as to why though - I just know I am ready to go back. We're still discussing the timing, but if it will not happen this weekend, and if everything stays the same, it will definitely be next weekend.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #228 on: April 17, 2020, 02:46:26 PM »
Can't move back, you have plants growing that need your care!

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #229 on: April 17, 2020, 04:18:41 PM »
are things really going back to normal out your way? I feel like things are just getting worse and worse here.  Every few days theres a new restriction to mitigate spread and the sick/death count is continuing to rise.  No idea when the "peak" is, but even once we hit that, I can't imagine things heading back towards normal any time soon.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2020, 04:28:25 PM »
We are nearing the expected peak out here.  However the message is that the peak doesn't mean we can go back yet.  Need to stay the course to keep it down.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2020, 04:36:59 PM »
Need to ramp up testing and fortify hospitals (supplies and personnel) before coming out of lockdown! I don't think we're close (as in no way before May).

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2020, 07:16:24 PM »
Yeah, Newsom said at least two weeks to start evaluating.

Also, heard that China is seeing a resurgence after loosing restrictions.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2020, 10:35:38 AM »
and just like that, our plan got twisted again. The governor cancelled school for the rest of the year, and even though he wants to start opening up the economy, I'm sure it will be a long while longer before kids' after school stuff will return. I think we will reverse the roles on our houses, and go back to Chicago every couple of weeks to mow the lawn and do some other upkeep type stuff and just continue as we are here. Decision has not been made yet, but we are leaning this way now.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2020, 05:37:04 PM »
Jake, do you still have people staying with you, or is it just your immediate family?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2020, 07:50:41 PM »
Jake, do you still have people staying with you, or is it just your immediate family?

My best friend and his family spent a week or so here; his wife lost her job right before they came and then his job told him he can work from home but needs to be a half hour away at most...so they went back. So it's just us at this time

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2020, 02:10:36 PM »
Our lab went live with one of our antibody tests today. Feeling proud right now.

Leadership also just announced that sick time from COVID is no longer being distinguished by hospital exposure vs outside exposure. Previously if you were out sick with COVID, you had to use sick time unless there was proven exposure at the hospital. If you had proven traceable direct exposure at the hospital, you could take up to 2 weeks without dipping into your sick bank. With this change, you can take up to 3 weeks out sick for COVID without dipping into your sick time. Change is retroactive, meaning my analyst who was out sick for 2 weeks gets his sick time AND vacation time back!!

He had only had a few days sick time available since he started in December and was close to building his vacation bank up to zero before he got sick (he took a pre-planned honeymoon in December). So now instead of having a 0 sick balance and -7 Vacation, he'll be at 4 and 7! I'm so glad for him.

Meanwhile we have employees asking if they can receive government assistance if they've been asked to NOT work while still getting paid 80% of their pay+benefits. Guys, keep me back from slapping these people.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2020, 03:18:31 AM »
Our lab went live with one of our antibody tests today. Feeling proud right now.

That's awesome! :dblthumb2:

Can you send some to those Stanford researchers please so we can get some serology studies that we can have a little more confidence in?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2020, 08:58:31 AM »
My sister works at a hospital in Philly and recently volunteered to work in the COVID unit after doing a rotation in it (the thinking being that she lives alone and didn't want to keep bouncing between her normal unit and the COVID one).  She said they were going to do serology studies on those nurses. 

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2020, 10:39:10 AM »
Warning - multitopic ADHD post below! :D

Ouch.  That's awful Jake.  There aren't even really words for how things are crashing out.  We don't really have much of a choice if we don't want lots of people dying but...

I spent part of my check on a new monitor - and the rest is going to savings...

I will say - I was reading about everyone's exercise in the other thread.  The best part of where I live is the fact that I'm in the middle of the woods.  My walking has gone way up.  Dogs and I are up from probably averaging around 2 miles a day in a normal April to 4 miles a day so far this month - including a really nice 7am hike this morning.  My legs are constantly sore, but at least we're able to get out of the house.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own