Author Topic: BaseCamp  (Read 4919 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
BaseCamp
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
Any of you guys use it at your companies?  http://basecamp.com/

My boss just signed up for the free trial and I have to say I'm impressed.  Very easy to use, very intuitive.  With my limited exposure, I'd use it pretty extensively if he actually moves forward with it.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: BaseCamp
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 02:07:38 PM »
we don't use it because we are really tied into workamajig which I, and most of my coworkers hate.  People who come from agencies using BaseCamp can't say enough good things about it.  I think its best asset is that it integrates so well with so many other systems. So it might not have invoicing built in, but you can use it in conjuncture with freshbooks.  And it might not have time tracking built in, but you can add that as a plugin in.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »
I'm quite familiar with the 37Signals stuff. If it works for you then I'd say use it, but they have a minimalist approach to things so don't expect a super full featured product. It's not designed that way.

If you guys are evaluating it for use, you should add ActiveCollab (https://www.activecollab.com/index.html) to you evaluations.

I think many companies have a tendency to outgrow BaseCamp (and related 37Signals apps) but they're good for what they are. Better to start simple and move up if you really need to rather than having a kitchen sink app that you only use a handful of features of.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
Yeah, I don't really care either way to be honest.  I appreciate the input tgm, very useful.  And Micah, that's good to know about the integration points, but I don't think we'd need any addons at this point based on what we're trying to use it for.  I will pass that along to our CTO that is starting to push on it.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »
We use OnTime for work and used BaseCamp and Church Community Builder for Church.

I can't say I really like any of the them, but I guess OnTime is good in that we can track bugs and features of multiple versions of various software in development.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:54:41 PM »
I signed up for the trail version, and you're right - it is super intuitive. After just a few minutes I have a good back bone for a small project. We will give it a try and see to see how it works out. Thanks Ober!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 11:04:49 PM »
till using this and everyone in Chicago is digging it - the smartphone app is pretty nice too. I don't think that my company will adopt it because of the whole project 2013 push - but we will continue using it here for smaller stuff.

I think it enhanced our communications, and at the very least made them easier.

Ober, do you know if the paid version integrates with outlook?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 01:40:53 PM »
No clue.  Our CTO was the one pushing it and I don't think he's going to get widespread adoption within the company due to other tools available.  So I haven't had much more exposure to it since this thread.