Author Topic: Shootings  (Read 34238 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Shootings
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »
IT IS A DAMN SHAME THE BACKGROUND BILL GOT SHOT DOWN. no pun intended, sorry for caps.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2013, 06:19:01 AM »
I'm in shock...I shouldn't be, but I am. Damn NRA....really? We can't even have background checks? I mean - I realize that it polls ridiculously well, and I don't blame gun manufacturers for not wanting it - why limit your market but nevertheless....really?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:42:05 AM by KnuckleBuckett »
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »
I'm in shock...I shouldn't be, but I am. Damn NRA....really? We can't even have background checks? I mean - I realize that it polls ridiculously well, and I don't blame fun manufacturers for not wanting it - why limit your market but nevertheless....really?

Its not like there aren't already background checks for ever firearm purchased at retail, including at gun shows.  But that is the spin on this that seems to be outraging people - like there's this big loop hole where people are buying machine guns under the table.  This law would not have effected the black market sales, just private sales and transfers, often among friends and family.  Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with it and would have been fine if it passed. I'm just saying the outrage over it is a bit over the top.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2013, 09:57:37 AM »
My understanding (and I'm the first to admit that I may be wrong) was that the problem is that it varies greatly by state and that there aren't central background checks - and that since gun shows are "private sales" there aren't checks at a lot of those...That's different to me than family and friends...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »
If you're a licensed dealer, it's a federal license to sell firearms and you are required to do a background checks on all sales regardless of the state you are in.  If you are selling a gun or guns to a non-FFL holder to make a profit and you do not have an FFL yourself, you are breaking the law.

So basically the only sales that don't currently require a background check are transfers or private sales for no profit.  And even that is difficult and laws exist like, you can't ship a firearm across state lines unless its going to an FFL holder.

Every booth at a gun show requires a background check.  The "loophole" is people selling their guns in the parking lot which is probably already illegal but honestly doesn't happen. Why would vendors pay to set up a booth at the gun show if everyone just buys black-market guns in the parking lot.

edit: just saw this on facebook after I posted the above...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dpcjp5QagII
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:52:16 AM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
This law would not have effected the black market sales, just private sales and transfers, often among friends and family.

I haven't been following this much but I thought I read that they exempted sales between family and friends in the amendment that went to the cloture vote.

I think the outrage is more about the system, and the perception that a lobbying group was able to convince enough Senators to vote against something innocuous despite apparent overwhelming support from the public. I don't know how many people are thinking that the lack of the extra background check legislation will lead to lots and lots of gun deaths that would have been prevented.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #186 on: July 19, 2013, 08:44:04 PM »
finally found an AKMS (basically a slightly modified AK47) I've been looking for for a long time - an underfolder. And for a damn good price, $599! But hey, can't fucking purchase it because of a store's fucked up policy. I will never shop at this store again. I'm pissed.

This Chicago cop had the same experience: http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/2013/03/megasports-blows.html

I also challenged the snot nose clerk about the "law" and then he said it was a store policy. :disbelief:

My search continues.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #187 on: July 19, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
What's the policy?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2013, 09:07:48 PM »
they will not sell to cook county residents.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2013, 09:24:49 PM »
Lol

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »
 :lol: