Author Topic: Is it worth the risk riding a motorcycle?  (Read 3932 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Is it worth the risk riding a motorcycle?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 03:37:26 PM »
You don't need one in Ohio, either.

For Michigan, you do.

salvelinus

• Founders
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 05:35:57 PM »
Quote from: axon
illionois is one of the very few states that doesn't require a helmet - all you need is some sort0of eye wear...stupid, eh?

Very stupid.
I'm pretty libertarian when it comes to what you want to do with yourself, but if your freely chosen idiocy means that I now have to pay for your medical care a/o support your dependents, forget it.
OTOH, I don't like mandatory seatbelt laws, even though I always wear one. I don't like the way that, at least in Michigan, sealtbelt laws were first for only if you were stopped for another offense, so you couldn't get a ticket if everything else was ok. After a couple of years of that, "of course", it made sense to allow tickets for just not wearing seatbelts.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 05:58:55 PM »
I agree that people should be able to choose if they want to be idiots or not by not wearing seatbelts/helmets.  What they need is a insurance/medical care law that says if you aren't wearing either then I don't need to pay even if it was my fault.

yoshi

• I AM A COW
  • Jackass III
  • Thingy
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 11:09:40 PM »
Simple:

If you ride it, you look like Superman;
if you fall, you look like a dumbass.
GO AWAY

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 02:07:58 AM »
Quote from: axon
illionois is one of the very few states that doesn't require a helmet - all you need is some sort0of eye wear...stupid, eh?

AZ is the same way, but bike passengers must have helmets.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

salvelinus

• Founders
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 07:21:15 AM »
Quote from: betazep
AZ is the same way, but bike passengers must have helmets.

??? What sense does that make?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 08:16:32 AM »
Maybe they figure it forces kids to do it?

I don't know, that seems pretty dumb.

Major_Small

• Jackass IV
    • http://www.johnshaoonline.com
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 05:38:44 PM »
ahh... I remember not wanting to wear a bike helmet... the roots of rebellion :D
Team Cprog Folding@Home: Team #43476
Download it Here
Detailed Stats Here
More Detailed Stats
51 Members so far, are YOU a member?
Current team score: 827850 (ranked 357 of 41389)

The CBoard team is doing better than [COLOR='#0000FF']99.13%[/COLOR] of the other teams
Top 5 Members: Xterria(331048), Bennet(64957), pianorain(56621), Codeplug(35842), JaWiB(34917)

Last Updated on: Mon, 28 Nov, 2005 @ 3:21 PM EST

Howdy

• Spin the big ring
  • Jackass III
  • 2nd best friend
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 09:08:52 PM »
Howdy,
 From an economic point of view it makes perfect sense, the bike cost less than a car and the operating costs are much less. The safety issue is a different story. One small mistake on two wheels and your messed up or maybe better, Dead. In an automobile small mistakes are pretty forgiving. That said we all know people that have been seriously injured on a road/dirt bike, we also know folks that have riden for years with no problems.

M.R.
When you think they're sending obvious signals, then, you're obviously misleading yourself.
Microbe
3,996 (218:59:49 hours) miles of my 7,000 mile goal this year

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2005, 04:19:13 AM »
I think I'd be more concerned about idiot drivers running into me on my bike than being on the bike itself really.

Howdy

• Spin the big ring
  • Jackass III
  • 2nd best friend
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2005, 11:22:45 AM »
Howdy,
 Agreed, in most cases the guy/gal on the bike is in the right but still ends up trashed...

M.R.
When you think they're sending obvious signals, then, you're obviously misleading yourself.
Microbe
3,996 (218:59:49 hours) miles of my 7,000 mile goal this year

salvelinus

• Founders
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2005, 11:39:45 AM »
When I rode a motorcycle, when I lived in Detroit, I'd be fine driving around the streets. But get on the freeway, I'd be freaked out by a) the speed, thinking that any little mistake = death, and b) other drivers.
I still don't like driving even a car on freeways in urban areas. There are tons of people, whipping in and out of lanes with inches to spare, driving a couple feet behind the vehicle in front of them, slowing down or speeding up for no discernable reason.
I dread going downstate, where, unfortunately most of my family lives, so have to now & then. The only upside to going there is White Castle.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2005, 11:46:39 AM »
My dad's used to the Lansing traffic, and still freaks out whenever he gets down here to visit me.  It just takes some getting used to, but I'm still glad I don't need to use the freeway to get to work anymore.

salvelinus

• Founders
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2005, 11:59:48 AM »
Lansing would be ok, although it's growing into one of those multi connected urban areas.
Detroit area? Unless you're in a group, preferably a gang that will beat seneseless any car driver causing you shit, forget a bike.
A bike (motorized or not) is a cool way to get around. Just not on urban freeways.
Cheez, don't you live in Belleville, work in Livonia? Almost have to take the freeway? Then again, I'm from the east side, don't know roads out there.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2005, 12:43:46 PM »
Yeah, Lansing is turning into that, but the only area with traffic approaching Detroit is on the south side where Cedar and Pennsylvania come together.  The only reason the traffic's that bad there is because the city planner was high when he designed that part of town.

I moved from Belleville a couple weeks ago - I'm in Northville right now because I'm afraid of black people.  It's about 3 miles from work; I just drive through a subdivision and down 7 mile aways to get there.

There was actually a big bike rally at the school next to my office yesterday.