Author Topic: Rioting Muslims  (Read 1476 times)

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
Rioting Muslims
« on: February 05, 2006, 11:08:46 PM »
http://www.abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1580606

Has anybody ever heard of any religious group rioting/destroying stuff in such a way other than muslims in recent times? It seems stupid...they resent being called fanatics etc but they pull shit like this. I dont like muslim's intolerance of non muslims. For example muslims demand to be able to wear their veils and stuff in countries like Australia because they want their beliefs to be respected but if an Australian woman went to a muslim country their beliefs would not be respected at all and they would be forced to wear the veil.

There have even been mass protests in places like New Zealand over this cartoon. Im sure Jesus has been parodied thousands of time but you dont see christians rioting or even protesting.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 11:17:46 PM by Farticus Senior »
i have a stationary fetish

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Rioting Muslims
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 01:30:01 AM »
Basically it's forbidden to portray the Prophet in any artistic manner, other than say
symbolically, but even the laws on such matters are pretty strict.  In fact, most Islamic art does not depict actual figures of people.  

Whilst I don't agree with the extreme nature of their reaction, I do think that the whole situation could have been avoided if some respect was shown.  It would be like going into the ghetto wearing a sign saying "I hate n*ggers".  You'd be killed or beaten within an inch of your life.  Common sense really.  I mean, it's hardly building an understanding between people is it?

Re: Western woman goes to Islamic country and is forced to wear a veil.  Well the fact is, this has to be expected.  It's just the way they run their society.  It would be no good to cry foul about having to respect their customs & beliefs (and in some cases, laws).

And likewise, they shouldn't cry foul about ours.

I guess the nuts and bolts of it is that the divide between our cultures is growing, and there's going to be a lot more of this before it gets any better.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
Rioting Muslims
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 03:44:20 AM »
Quote from: '[stealthy
']Basically it's forbidden to portray the Prophet in any artistic manner, other than say
symbolically, but even the laws on such matters are pretty strict.  In fact, most Islamic art does not depict actual figures of people.

That law stems from the second commandment. It is also the case for Judaism and Christianity.

It's just that the Muslim's concept of law, the Sharia, was set down centuries ago, and they dont allow changes or interpritations that dont follow the conservative line.

Remember that Islam had no reformation and didn't partake in the enlightnment that so changed the western world. Now they are confronted with what the west came to terms with centuries ago, and they arent coping with it too well

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Rioting Muslims
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 07:36:06 AM »
> That law stems from the second commandment.

That doesn't make any sense.  Mohammed's not the God of Islam.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
Rioting Muslims
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 08:06:31 AM »
Quote from: Govtcheez
> That law stems from the second commandment.

That doesn't make any sense.  Mohammed's not the God of Islam.

True, but although Judaism, Christianity and Islam venerate Moses and commandments, they each have different interpretations.

Islam focusses more on Idolatry.

From Wiki

Commandment 2: Thou shall make no image of God.
Qur'anic Equivalent: "My Lord, make this a peaceful land, and protect me and my children from worshiping idols." (14:35)

It also looks to the depiction of it's prophets as showing them at an equal level as Allah. Again, this is seen as a blasphemy in it's own right; therefore, creating an image of Mohammed is not tolerated at all.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:37:19 AM by Dumah »

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Rioting Muslims
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 08:09:19 AM »
Huh, I wasn't aware of that.  Thanks.

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
Rioting Muslims
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 08:23:28 AM »
Where the cartoons stupid? Increadibly. Do I appresiate a race of people, who I don't particularly understand or trust, trying to tell a democratic nation what they can and cannot do? Absolutly not!

It is clear that the issue wasn't about portraying all muslims as terrorists, because quite franctly the protests have only comfirmed that extreamists exist in substancial numbers within their communities. Death with france, death with denmark. I wish British papers had had the balls to stand side-by-side with the european press. Though, if they had the worst riots in the would have been on home territory.

And just so they know, Muslims and (any other religion for that matter) can believe whatever non-sense they want. Just don't try and force it down my neck.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 08:32:07 AM by VBprogrammer »