Author Topic: Thinking of upgrading my PC  (Read 5495 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Thinking of upgrading my PC
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »
I'm thinking of upgrading my computer later this year.  It's been almost 4 years and I think I'm going to have it built this time instead of building it myself.  Does anyone know of a good site for buying one?

A co-worker suggested www.digitalstormonline.com but their prices seem a little high to me based on poking around elsewhere.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Thinking of upgrading my PC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:36:40 AM »
I'd still just go Newegg and do it myself. Although my last one was an all Microcenter build but they price matched.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
I'm thinking of upgrading my computer later this year.  It's been almost 4 years and I think I'm going to have it built this time instead of building it myself.  Does anyone know of a good site for buying one?

A co-worker suggested www.digitalstormonline.com but their prices seem a little high to me based on poking around elsewhere.

Want me to do it?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
Would you consider that Knuck?  I don't need to go super high end, I just want to get up to date.  i5/i7 quad core... I was looking at the 660 series video cards... maybe a 1TB drive... 8GB of RAM is enough.  Other than that I don't need to be picky.  Don't need a DVD drive... if anything I'd slam in the one I have since I rarely use one.  I do want a new mouse and I would want Windows 7.  I'd want a new case with decent cooling.

Have you built anything in that range recently?  What do you think it would run?  The PCs I was looking at were in the 1200 range.  Obviously I'd kick in for your time.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »
I haven't built a computer in soooo long.  I usually just go mainstream... and then gut the software and reinstall the OS and drivers. 

But I am not doing any high end stuff like I bet you do.  My office computer blew up last year.  I have been using the computer in the family room to check email / log into work.... and lately my Mac mini on the TV for everything else.

I think I might actually ditch the PC approach (since I have so many at work anyway) and go with an iMac for the home office.  I can always Citrix in to any kind of virtual desktop I want (Windows 8, Windows 7, XP, Servers...etc etc).

You have any experience with Macs?
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »
My first PC was a gateway 2000.  I've built 3(?) of my own since then.  I enjoyed it back in the day but don't have the passion or patience for it anymore. 

I assume you were asking knuck the mac question.  I've never owned one unless you count the iOS devices as Macs.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 12:53:36 PM »
By the way Knuck, I'm not looking to do this right away.  I'm thinking early next year maybe, but I'm not sure yet. 

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
If you aren't in a hurry wait for the Haswell Tick as well as the next rendition of the Nvidia series currently at 7xx.

By then you will also have reached Windows 9 I suppose.  Maybe even an SSD at 500G or so at an affordable price point.

Let me know and I can have it ready when you drive out this way.  That said why wouldn't you build your own?  I could spec it out and such if you need me to.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
Like I said, I don't have the desire to do it.  I'm not a hardware guy anymore.  Then again, most of my hesitation is in putting the specs together... so if you helped with that part I might do it.  I realize putting it together is pretty easy.  I just want someone to tell me what to buy.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »
Without knowing exactly what I'm looking for, I went and did a rough spec on newegg just to get an idea.  Just under 1K and that's not including Windows 7.

I'm sure the stuff I picked is probably not what Knuck would pick, but I wanted a rough idea.  I told my wife that I'd like to budget 1K-$1300 for it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
Hmm... I thought I picked a 2TB drive.  Oops.  I would probably also switch to a CoolerMaster Power Supply.  And I just threw a mouse in there.  I probably would get another Razer mouse unless you have another recommendation.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:01 PM »
Stay with Corsair.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »
Yeah?  I guess that has changed?  How did I do otherwise?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
Well enough.  The GPU should be a 770.  EVGA or Asus.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 05:08:31 PM »
You have any experience with Macs?
I use macs for laptops but am unable to make it a desktop due to lack of games.