Author Topic: Face masks  (Read 5463 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Face masks
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 06:35:25 PM »
Also, micah, uhm, gum? ;)

:lol: I should try that I suppose. LOL. I guess the real problem for me is the fogging glasses issue, its the worst, especially in cold weather.

Speaking of gum though, early on, I used to use mints - like those really strong ones - and when you breath out and it goes up into your eyes, it literally BURNS!  Like whatever mentholated minty chemical you're exhales will make your eyes water!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 07:07:25 PM »
Yeah.. that's a good question. If the vaccines help squash the virus to the point where we're not seeing any new cases in most places, will people still wear masks? I'm leaning no.
My sister has been a nurse for years and just got vaccinated (second shot 2 weeks ago).  I asked her if it changes anything for her.  She said no.  Just because YOU can't get it, you can still carry it.  That makes you just as dangerous to others still as before.  So for that reason alone, I hope people continue to wear masks until there is a massive reduction in new cases.  Like approaching zero.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 07:56:41 PM »
Yeah.. that's a good question. If the vaccines help squash the virus to the point where we're not seeing any new cases in most places, will people still wear masks? I'm leaning no.
My sister has been a nurse for years and just got vaccinated (second shot 2 weeks ago).  I asked her if it changes anything for her.  She said no.  Just because YOU can't get it, you can still carry it.  That makes you just as dangerous to others still as before.  So for that reason alone, I hope people continue to wear masks until there is a massive reduction in new cases.  Like approaching zero.

100% agreed.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 10:19:09 AM »
People should not be eating indoors. Unless you have zero cases for a couple weeks straight or have some space-age ventilation, indoor dining is a huge cause of the spread of the disease. I simply do not understand government officials that allow indoor dining.

But that means government officials would have to support measures that support those business owners and something something capitalism.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 11:45:17 AM »
is there actually proof that "indoor dining is a huge cause of the spread of the disease?" (i'm not disagreeing, i could google it i suppose).

I mean, I don't do it...i think maybe 3 or 4 times since last march... but those times I've eaten out, tables were way spaced out, restaurants take so much abundance of caution, servers wear masks and sanitize their hands all the time... menus are sanitized or in some cases switched to disposable paper menus.  If the guidelines are being followed and parties are staying 6 feet away and wearing masks when they're not seated....is the risk any greater than going to super market or the pharmacy?

Again, I don't doubt that the more people are out in public the higher the risk...but I my intuition feels like dining isn't the greatest threat to America right now.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 11:58:34 AM »
is there actually proof that "indoor dining is a huge cause of the spread of the disease?" (i'm not disagreeing, i could google it i suppose).

Yes.

Tables being spaced out doesn't do much if you're indoors. The virus is spread through the air. The initial belief that it is only in droplets that fall to the ground within six feet was wrong, and that has been known since very early on. The CDC was slow to update their guidance but eventually did last fall.

There have been many tracing studies that show how workers or people in restaurants were infected by someone who was way across the room. Any time spent indoors where you're sharing the air is dangerous.

Wearing masks helps this a lot. So working in a building while everyone is wearing a mask is a lot less risk than without masks. But when eating in a restaurant, you take off your mask. You're also talking a lot when eating in a restaurant. Talking, singing, coughing and things like that expel viral particles much more than simple breathing. So that's two problems with indoor dining that make it even worse than other reasons people end up indoors.

The sad thing is that we've known that airborne transmission was super important for a really long time, but the official guidance has been so lacking that people still worry ten times more about sanitizing surfaces than about proper ventilation. Plane flights are less risky than other public transportation because they have such great air filtration and recycling already. If we had been working on improving that in restaurants starting ten months ago maybe they would be safer. But the leadership everywhere has just been so lacking. It's extremely frustrating and literally hundreds of thousands of people all over the world have died because of it.  :(

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 12:18:13 PM »
Ah thanks for that better explanation.
See, I knew I didn't disagree with you -- it just wasn't squaring right in my head because, apparently I stopped learning about the guidelines last summer because...well fuck this virus, i'm sick of it.