Author Topic: Coexisting with OS's  (Read 6800 times)

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
Re: Coexisting with OS's
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 08:15:29 PM »
In that case what you reading is out of date (ntfs-3g has only been stable for 3 years or so) or just plain wrong.

They have never had a report of data loss attributed to using NTFS-3g and it is included in most distributions.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 08:21:15 PM »
Ok so what exactly do i need to do? Obviously i can swap it to NTFS using Acronis easily, what needs to be done in ubuntu in order to see it?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »
If I remember, install ntfs-config on ubuntu to configure it

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »
Thanks guys i will look into that. I fucked up my GRUB again somehow so i gotta member how i fixed it. ugh, heres the thread on it if u guys feel like looking:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/forum/index.php?topic=257.0

It all happened because i did a secure format when i got to NJ and started it over fresh because im paranoid (even tho i had nothing to hide...lol).
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 10:50:51 AM »
Thanks guys i will look into that. I fucked up my GRUB again somehow so i gotta member how i fixed it. ugh, heres the thread on it if u guys feel like looking:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/forum/index.php?topic=257.0

It all happened because i did a secure format when i got to NJ and started it over fresh because im paranoid (even tho i had nothing to hide...lol).

I'm out of ideas. I have this posted on like 5 linux forums. 4 have no responses, and 1 gets a response like once a week.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 12:28:05 PM »
I'm confused. Can you start over? You have problem?

Forget about the past stuff, what's your current problem? e.g. can't boot into linux, can't boot into Vista, need to restore GRUB config.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »
My current issue is the one from the thread i link. I installed Wubi, and used LVPM to move it to its own partition. LVPM also installed Grub for me.

GRUB loads, and any choice other then Windows Vista (Loader) results in "Cannot mount selected partition". Windows loader takes me to the menu with vista, and the wubi install (because i didnt remove it yet), both of which work. I cannot boot into the new, standalone ubuntu install created by lvpm.

So i downloaded SGD and used WUBI to create the usb key to boot from, and it wont work. I somehow need to fix GRUB, which seems confused and lost. Like me.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »
Is your system capable of booting from USB? Maybe try a CD instead?
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 02:08:01 PM »
Yes it is, it boots from the key as planned but all i get is a blinking cursor. CD's are out i dont have any and im broke, thats why im migrating wubi....

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »
I'm going to work on this issue tonight, i really need to get linux up and working before i go insane. Something bout this laptop is just likes to argue.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 09:40:49 AM »
fuck it im buying cdr's

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »
fuck it im buying cdr's

Go to the dollar store, you can probably pick up a cheap pack there. (cheap as in $1)

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
Theres only one place on the island (read within 25 miles) to get them and thats Radioshack. So i already know they are going to kick me in the nuts, but its worth it if it fixes my issues. If Ubuntu still wont install right from a newly imaged cd, at least i have cds for SGD...one way or another this ends today :lol:

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 11:08:36 AM »
Is the blinking cursor a linux console?  If you have booted linux successfully, you should be able to mount partitions and edit the grub config as needed

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 11:11:32 AM »
Nope, its just a cursor. You cant do anything but watch it blink. It's like what you see when Caladera (DrDos) starts, right before the console loads up. I let it sit for 4 hours at one point, nothing. I'm just waiting for my ride to get ready so i can go get the disks, screw it lol.