Author Topic: Browsers usage here  (Read 6754 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Browsers usage here
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 09:49:28 AM »
Speed, functionality, memory usage to name a few.  The difference between browsing with IE and browsing with Opera is quite noticeable in terms of page load times, IMHO.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 10:02:41 AM »
Let alone a browser that is put together better, easier to use, and has a pretty amazing and easy to use tool set.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
For me it is about speed, stability, and rendering pages in a correct and logical manner.  Then there are all the nice little things that just cement it.

I probably don't use half of Opera's features but I don't lose anything by not using them.  Opera continues to surprise me about what it has.  I went to download from a torrent (first time doing so) the other day and was amazed when Opera was able to handle it.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 10:47:50 AM »
I do a lot of web programming so add ons become very useful for day to day work. Things like the web developer plug-in (ff) and screen shot plug-ins, etc. I haven't found the equivalent in Opera so that's what keeps me away. And the fact they used to/still charge (mobile/Wii) for a browser.
I have noticed FF getting a bit bulky though with all the additional plug-ins but I've grown familiar with it and since I'm getting older, I'm getting resistant to chance. Vi and be done with it. ;)
This signature intentionally left blank.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 11:40:10 AM »
>>Let alone a browser that is put together better, easier to use, and has a pretty amazing and easy to use tool set.

See, that's where I start to struggle. Better put together? Unless you can see the source code, how would you know? You can't exactly kick the tyres...

Easier to use? I type in an URL, the web page appears :dunno:

>>stuff about speed...

Yeah, but surely the network speed is the biggest limiter here.

I just don't get it. I use Opera, and I quite like the tabs, but if I had to use IE it wouldn't worry me a jot. I just don't get excited about software, especially browsers.

edit>> It's like the whole Linux / Windows bit. So long as I can do the stuff I want to do, who cares? It's like worrying about what sort of diesel I put in my car. I have more important things to worry about.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 12:23:12 PM »
Yeah, but surely the network speed is the biggest limiter here.

I just don't get it. I use Opera, and I quite like the tabs, but if I had to use IE it wouldn't worry me a jot. I just don't get excited about software, especially browsers.

Network speed is a yes/no issue.  Network speed tends to effect all browsers equally so a slow site is gonna be slow no matter what you are viewing with.  The speed issue has more to do with speed of rendering once it has the information.  There are a few other concerns like the browser's ability to fetch multiple files at the same time or while the page is still loading.

When I browse with Opera I notice that images are loaded a lot faster and the page jars a lot less while they are being loaded in comparison with Firefox.  To me that is important.

edit>> It's like the whole Linux / Windows bit. So long as I can do the stuff I want to do, who cares? It's like worrying about what sort of diesel I put in my car. I have more important things to worry about.
Each person has things that are important to them.  I spend a lot of time doing web development.  So to me having a good browser is important.  I know some people that spend a lot of time looking at the differences between cars.  Me, I couldn't care less.  As long as it doesn't break down and gets me to my destinations without costing me an arm and leg I'm good.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 12:29:44 PM »
>>I spend a lot of time doing web development.

...and I guess that's the nub of it. It means you probably notice stuff that I wouldn't even know existed. To use your analogy, as long as I can view my pr0 ^h^h^h web sites that's all that matters.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 12:32:51 PM »
Well to counter your analogy:  Wouldn't it be nice if those "educational" images loaded faster  :p

Though to each their own ;)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 12:58:55 PM »
IE 6 had no tabs. I wanted tabs. I tried Firefox, Mozilla and Opera. Opera had ads in the free version which may have made me like it less. After using all three I just ended up using Firefox more. I don't know exactly why. There were just little things that worked the way I expected them to, or I coincidentally found the settings to make them.

I've never taken the time to look at IE 7, but now I'm so used to Firefox that it will probably take a feature like tabs that I'm missing before I start checking out the competition again.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 04:27:03 PM »
Again Tabs were the thing for me.  Back before FF, Opera had tabs.  The ads never bothered me, though I eventually spent the $20 to get rid of them.  I also find Opera to be faster, and I find that IE and FF tend to take longer openning a blank tab - which drives me CRAZY!!!
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 04:29:46 PM »
and I find that IE and FF tend to take longer openning a blank tab - which drives me CRAZY!!!

really? blank tab opening instantly for me in FF. i've never thought they could be faster then they are.

I like firefox.  i can't stand IE because it renders the text to look like a word document and the font looks to big/bold/glossy. ick.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 05:23:31 PM »
Oh...and Zooming...IE can't do it and the mouse scroll in FF seems backwards to me.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 06:18:52 PM »
I just use the keyboard zoom controls in ff. Those make sense.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 11:35:53 PM »
IIRC Firefox just changes the text size.  Opera actually zooms the entire page which I freakin love.

I was using opera back when it had ads and they hardly ever annoyed me.  There were a few times when I'd go to click a tab and hit the ad instead.  I also did the text ads so it barly took up any room.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 06:36:54 AM »
IIRC Firefox just changes the text size.  Opera actually zooms the entire page which I freakin love.

I was using opera back when it had ads and they hardly ever annoyed me.  There were a few times when I'd go to click a tab and hit the ad instead.  I also did the text ads so it barly took up any room.

Opera zoom is a feature I use everyday.