Author Topic: Greetings from Finland  (Read 3435 times)

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Greetings from Finland
« on: January 27, 2021, 02:38:57 AM »
Hey,

As I am no longer on FB (got tired of the polarity, disinformation, and tracking)... I thought I would say hi here (and change my old password). 

I have pretty much moved entirely to Finland.  My wife and kids came here 3 years ago, and I stayed behind managing the sell-off of house... shipping of 21 years of history... job stuff... etc.  In a few months I go back to the apartment I have in Phoenix to get rid of the last bit of stuff I have. (and bring my XBox... gonna need a new power plug... heh)

At any rate, hope you all are doing fine... living in the entropy... all of us much older now, and pretty much set in our ways.

Cheers,

SK
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Greetings from Finland
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 12:07:44 AM »
Thanks for checking in!
I don't think I know enough about your personal backstory to not ask, why Finland?  I mean, it seems awesome and beautiful...nothing against it. Just, how did you end up there?

As for FB, i'd be right there with you if it weren't for the 12-years of memories and connections i've gathered over time. Thats where they get you I guess - as much as you know its a horrible idea to be there, you keep going back because that's where everyone else you know is.  (at least for me; its parents and old friends and old colleges and distant relatives. people I'd never stay in touch with if it weren't for random FB posts...but then again, maybe that would be a good thing?)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »
Finland sounds awesome, how are you liking it?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 08:34:13 AM »
Good to hear from you!  I'd love to hear more of the story.  Last thing I remember was that they were going over there for a few months and you were chilling at home.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 08:40:17 AM »
Never mind all that, where's my fucking sammich?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 10:52:25 AM »
Are you changing jobs as part of move?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 04:57:24 PM »
Hi Beta, nice to hear from you! I assume you speak Finish? I love old Finish videos - even though I don't understand a word of what they are saying - it is really a unique language

https://youtu.be/TgbdWsmNu64

https://youtu.be/sMwGfuiP8PE
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 06:35:36 AM »
Thanks for checking in!
I don't think I know enough about your personal backstory to not ask, why Finland?  I mean, it seems awesome and beautiful...nothing against it. Just, how did you end up there?

As for FB, i'd be right there with you if it weren't for the 12-years of memories and connections i've gathered over time. Thats where they get you I guess - as much as you know its a horrible idea to be there, you keep going back because that's where everyone else you know is.  (at least for me; its parents and old friends and old colleges and distant relatives. people I'd never stay in touch with if it weren't for random FB posts...but then again, maybe that would be a good thing?)

I was in the Navy and met a Finnish exchange student when I was stationed in Great Lakes, IL.  We bumped into each other (literally) on a train from Chicago to Chelsea, MI.  Six months later, I shipped off to Hawaii and she came to visit me before she would go back to Finland.  I asked her to marry me.  Four kids and 21 years later, she wanted to return to her home country.  Happy wife... happy life, so we made it happen.

You can download you entire facebook profile (including all the pictures).  It has been seriously liberating.  I personally feel like a different... me.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 06:54:25 AM »
Finland sounds awesome, how are you liking it?

It is nice.  It can be very beautiful here, but sometimes cold.  It is safe.  I have free-range kids now.  Even my young daughter takes the bus around town to her dance classes and school, etc.

Taxes are high.  I pay 3 times what I pay in the US, but we get medical, dental, education, unemployment, etc.  My wife gets a lot of vacation... but I work for a US company.

Other than the daily work grind, we spend most of our time remodeling our home.  We found a nice house right on the edge of the city of Tampere.  It is on a peninsula into a lake, and we can walk through forest trails to the lake on three sides of us.   The city is putting in a lot of investment in this area: including a new light rail that will come up this area - about a mile away from our house. There is a big amusement park around the water, nearby. 

Once coronavirus is done, I can finally visit all those European places I always wanted to go: Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, France, Netherlands, Denmark (Legoland) to name a few.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 06:59:58 AM »
Good to hear from you!  I'd love to hear more of the story.  Last thing I remember was that they were going over there for a few months and you were chilling at home.

Yeah 3 years ago they came here.  -heh

I have been back and forth, but mostly in the US by myself.  It was hard.  I actually like my wife and kids.  :)

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 07:00:47 AM »

Never mind all that, where's my fucking sammich?

Legendary!  :rofl:

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 07:03:09 AM »
Are you changing jobs as part of move?

I work for a US web-based company with PST hours.  Means I work 3rd shift here in Finland.  Coronavirus didn't change my work arrangement heh.  It is all Slack and Zoom for me anyway.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 07:20:06 AM »
Hi Beta, nice to hear from you! I assume you speak Finish? I love old Finish videos - even though I don't understand a word of what they are saying - it is really a unique language

Hey Jake... you are lookin good.  :) 

I do not speak much Finnish.  Fortunately, everyone here my age or younger speaks English (passable to excellently).  It is funny when someone here says, "I only speak a little English." And then proceeds to tell me everything I need to know in perfect English. heh

Without FB, I find myself binging more YT videos these days. This guy is from Finland Sweden. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsCCifMby57qV_UmrYGladQ 

Finns have a healthy gun appreciation and there are a lot of videos on the subject. 

I found a dream wood store (Finland has a lot of lumber).  I find myself building a lot of things during this house remodel. I built shelves for my office, for example.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:18:41 AM by Betazep »