Author Topic: What is ES reading?  (Read 80508 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: What is ES reading?
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
Got "Stick" by Elmore Leonard at B&N for $5 and it's ok.  Throwaway crime story, but that's what Leonard writes and I'm cool with that.  Also reading The Shock Doctrine (about 2 pages at a time) and Fantasyland, which is about being obsessed with fantasy baseball.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2010, 09:30:10 PM »
I'm just about done with Hemingway's Nick Adams Stories.  It's interesting to read about all these places in northern MI that I've actually been to.  I don't think I "get" Hemingway's writing style, though.

those are some of my favorite short stories ever! I think I might just reread them now that you have reminded me :)

What do you think you don't "get"? his writing is not very "deep", it is quite straight forward. Read his dialogue like a play...it is some of the best dialogue ever written.

The Battler is one I remember liking the most.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »
I feel like the writing is just so simple that there must be something I'm missing.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »
I can't seem to get through an entire book lately. I get to a point that grabs my attention entirely, put the book down and ponder over it for the next few weeks and never pick the book up.

I'm attempting to read (AGAIN) The Case for Christ and Creativty by Osho
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2010, 09:37:03 PM »
I feel like the writing is just so simple that there must be something I'm missing.

nope, not really. It is just Americana. There are a few stories from the Nick series that are very personal to Hemingway. They relate things that happen to him as a child: The three day blow, indian camp, etc.... and others that relate to his later life, but other ones are not, and there is no metaphysical depth to them so don't look for it. It is just good ol' American writing of adolescence.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »
I'm most of the way through "All The Pretty Horses", by Cormac McCarthy (who wrote The Road and No Country for Old Men).  It's beautiful so far, but I'm kind of embarrassed to read it in public because of the silly title.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »
Game Programming Complete

+

Brideshead Revisited

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
Currently reading 'Water for Elephants'.  It's being made into a movie and I'll be curious to see how it comes out.  The book is really good well written. 

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2010, 03:18:51 AM »
I just re-read The Great Gatsby. Felt like I'd forgotten it and should read it again now that I'm not 16. Still great.

I'm most of the way through "All The Pretty Horses", by Cormac McCarthy (who wrote The Road and No Country for Old Men).  It's beautiful so far, but I'm kind of embarrassed to read it in public because of the silly title.

How was The Road? I downloaded the first few chapters. Seems like it might be a good read.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2010, 03:42:48 AM »
How was The Road? I downloaded the first few chapters. Seems like it might be a good read.

Its good. Gets rather sad in a few places

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2010, 06:55:44 AM »
I've only read a little bit of The Road

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »
I just re-read The Great Gatsby. Felt like I'd forgotten it and should read it again now that I'm not 16. Still great.

I don't like Fitzgerald at all. Did you ever read "tender is the night"? - if you like Gatsby, you'll like this one also.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2010, 12:33:05 AM »
I don't like Fitzgerald at all. Did you ever read "tender is the night"? - if you like Gatsby, you'll like this one also.

Really? Why not? I downloaded Tender to the Kindle, but I haven't read it yet.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »
I read about half of Inca Gold on my camping trip this vacation.  It's entertaining, but I'm pretty sure I'll never ever read something by him again.  I can't believe people take this stuff seriously

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2010, 03:41:50 PM »
I used to read a lot of Cussler when I was, like, 14. I think I've actually read that one. It was all great at that age. I can't imagine reading it now.