Author Topic: what wine goes with spiral glazed ham?  (Read 16473 times)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: what wine goes with spiral glazed ham?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 01:55:47 PM »
RoD, I'm not saying he needs to go out and buy even a $60 bottle of white. My point is that you shouldn't have to spend that much on white zin for it not to taste bad.  That said, I can appreciate that there really shouldn't be "rules" when it comes to pairing wine with foods, because it really matters on your own taste.  My own taste is that white zin is a bastardization of red Zinfandel.

I have to throw in Shiraz for the reds.  If you'd rather go for the white, a riesling might be nice.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »
I don't think I have tried any other then the original and if I'm thinking correctly one that had an orange label. And that was at a halloween party last october (07) so it may be a seasonal or promotional
Oktoberfest? I liked that.  I thought the winter lager was more bitter though.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 02:11:19 PM »
I agree with you in regards to white zin, you shouldn't have to pay for it to taste good. But that goes against the wine industry. White zin is the most popular choice for light flavored meals and a lot of white pasta dishes so companies tend to make a bunch of cheap ones and then the good stuff. Red wines suffer the same downfall.

I agree it should be mostly opinion and personal taste. But with a post like this I try to stick to a balance of the pairing rules and personal taste. I feel too many people "push" their wine tastes with no regards to rules. Everyone wants to be "the wine guy" so to speak. And I would get strung up for this, but as far as the cheap white zin goes the best taste is actually, in my opinion, arbor mist. I say that because their whole market scheme is cheap good tasting wine for young women. Second to that I would say ziphor (I think), another cheap zin (box). Both of those are cheap and can be passed off as a higher quality then they are to someone who doesn't know and never sees the bottle.

And yea I think oktoberfest is it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »
Yes, tgm is right.  I said beer not piss water (AKA mgd).  Sam Adams has a ton of different beers with different flavors.  Their website suggested the Cherry Wheat

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »
And I don't think jen has had a napa white zen before.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 02:58:35 PM »
Beringer makes a napa valley white zen that's really good. Its not too expensive either I think its around 30-40 bucks.

And isn't samual adams filed under ale? I originally thought beer was just a smart ass reply since that was all you said :p
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
And does anyone even drink mgd? Shits nasty

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
so can someone summarize my options here?

I'm not going to do beer as my parents don't drink it, and my wife doesn't drink it with meals and I only enjoy lagers anyway.

as for the wine, I'm looking just looking for basic, good-tasting table wine.  $10-$20 range.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 03:05:37 PM »
If you like white, then try a good Riesling.

If you like red, then something not too overpowering. Pinot Noir would be an idea. If you cant get much range on Pinot, try a decent Burgundy

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 03:09:09 PM »
ale is a particular type of beer.  Though I don't think all of sam adams falls under ale, pretty sure they have wheat beers also.  MGD would be a shitty pilsener

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 03:09:34 PM »
Dumah summed it well. That's three of us for pinot noir for red. Riesling (also suggested previously) is also very good and is in the white catagory.

Basically light meat calls for white per the rules, but a proper red wine will do just fine and may be better if your father favors red wine.

Dumah hit our sugestions on the head so take that and personal feeling and go for it

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »
@mike

Gotcha. Suprisingly I know wine, I know tequila, I know some whiskeys but beer is something I admittedly don't know much about.

There's a bar in nj that has the "wall of fame" which is 150 beers assembled from all over the planet. I'm one of only 25 people (as of 06) to drink every one on the list. I thought doing so would further my beer knowledge but it backfired because it turns out american beer is pussy shit and I don't remember about 99 of those beers :lol:

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »
I'm not going to do beer as my parents don't drink it, and my wife doesn't drink it with meals and I only enjoy lagers anyway.
Learn to drink real beer :devil:

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 03:47:31 PM »
I second the JKim Shiraz vote.  Rosemount Estate Shiraz to be exact.

http://www.rosemountestate.com/index2.asp

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 03:49:12 PM »
Knuck fix your attachment