Author Topic: how do i make a pumpkin pie?  (Read 3180 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
how do i make a pumpkin pie?
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:30:19 PM »
my wife and I are going over to her mothers house for Thanksgiving on Thursday. Its just going to be four of us (me, the Mrs, her mother and sister).

anyway, I volunteered to bring a pumpkin pie. I don't know what I was thinking.

I know I could buy a frozen one - but I want to look slightly more impressive then that. If I buy a can of pumpkin guts will that have a recipe on it? 

Either way, any secret and easy recipe ideas from the ES folk?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: how do i make a pumpkin pie?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:34:03 PM »
This looks pretty dang easy.  I don't think it's cheating to get a premade pie crust, is it?  This is by EAGLE BRAND but I'm sure most recipes are going to be similar (except they might not use EAGLE BRAND CONDENSED MILK NOT EVAPORATED MILK)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Perfect-Pumpkin-Pie/Detail.aspx

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:40:18 PM »
that does look pretty easy.  :thumbsup:

I think I need to buy every ingredient on the list, but at least there's not to many.

Thanks.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 06:44:23 PM »
Supplies:
  • Pumpkin
  • Measuring tape
  • Calculator (or pencil and paper)

Steps:
  • Cut your pumpkin in half horizontally (parallel to the ground), preferably at it's widest point.
  • Remove the top half and set aside.
  • Using measuring tape, measure the distance across the open top of the bottom half of the pumpkin from the outside of one edge to the outside of the other at its widest point. Write down this value (preferably in inches although centimeters is ok).
  • Wrap the tape measure around the outside of the bottom half of the pumpkin so that half of the measuring tape sticks up above the edge of the pumpkin as it goes around.
  • Write down the measurement of where the edge of the measuring tape comes around and begins overlapping itself.
  • Using calculator, input the second number you found. Press the divide button (looks like this: '/'). Then input the first number you wrote down and press equals (looks like this: '='). If you do not have a calculator you can do the division yourself on the paper.

Result: Pumpkin pi!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 06:45:29 PM »
Allrecipes is a pretty nice site.  There are a bunch of other pumpkin pie recipes on there but they were either reduced fat or fancy lookin and stuff.  Who the hell needs reduced fat things for Thanksgiving?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 08:15:51 PM »
Here are pie recipes from America's Test Kitchen - Cooks Illustrated...

Also advice on which filling to purchase.

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:23:03 PM »
Supplies:
  • Pumpkin
  • Measuring tape
  • Calculator (or pencil and paper)

Steps:
  • Cut your pumpkin in half horizontally (parallel to the ground), preferably at it's widest point.
  • Remove the top half and set aside.
  • Using measuring tape, measure the distance across the open top of the bottom half of the pumpkin from the outside of one edge to the outside of the other at its widest point. Write down this value (preferably in inches although centimeters is ok).
  • Wrap the tape measure around the outside of the bottom half of the pumpkin so that half of the measuring tape sticks up above the edge of the pumpkin as it goes around.
  • Write down the measurement of where the edge of the measuring tape comes around and begins overlapping itself.
  • Using calculator, input the second number you found. Press the divide button (looks like this: '/'). Then input the first number you wrote down and press equals (looks like this: '='). If you do not have a calculator you can do the division yourself on the paper.

Result: Pumpkin pi!

I'm so disappointed in myself that I chuckled at that one :)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:38:32 AM »
I just learned that Pumkin Pies aren't really made with pumpkins

Well they can be.  Using sweet potatoes or various squash is gaining popularity.