Author Topic: Fall food!  (Read 3326 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Fall food!
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »
I love fall food - pumpkin everything, cinammon everything, apple cider, honeycrisps, squash, good hearty soups.

Making this tonight:
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/main-dish/recipe-butternut-squash-and-sage-soup-128571?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+apartmenttherapy%2Fthekitchn+%28The+Kitchn%29

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Fall food!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Not a final harvest, but that'll be soon.  It's given us a lot of tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini this summer.  My wife canned a bunch of the tomatoes and peppers already.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »
Update: It was very tasty.  I threw in a little extra red pepper flakes and made it a little spicier, and the apples were a nice contrast

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »
I'm making cincinnati chili and some pepper jack corn bread.
Later on in the week I have a leek soup scheduled.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
I'm making chili this week, but just normal crock pot chili.  What the heck is cincinnati chili?  Is that the stuff with chocolate?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »
I'm making chili this week, but just normal crock pot chili.  What the heck is cincinnati chili?  Is that the stuff with chocolate?
Yeah.  Just a small amount though.  The chili was good.  It was a more chucky style chili with little standing liquid.  I kinda messed up and got linguine instead of spaghetti but the pasta just seemed to get in the way.  The cornbread was meh.  I undercooked it a tad and it was kinda gritty.  I'm probably gonna make more chili for this Friday's lunch at work (my turn in the rotation) and will be skipping the pasta and using a different cornbread recipie.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:06:04 AM »
This is the recipe I'm gonna use.  It's great, especially with stew meat in place of the hamburger.  I also throw in a can of black beans
1˝ lbs ground beef
8 oz ground sausage (no casing)
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes
1 small can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste (+ 1 can of water)
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
4 tbsp fresh minced onion
˝ teaspoon white sugar
2 tsp brown sugar
˝ teaspoon dried oregano
˝ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt (smoked salt is excellent if you have it)
1˝ teaspoons ground cumin
3 tbsp chili powder

(I usually do the first two steps the night before if I have time and then store in separate containers, then all you have to do is dump everything in the crockpot in the morning.)

1. Place ground beef and sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat with onion and garlic until beginning to brown. Season with cumin and chili powder, once around the pan each. Continue to cook until evenly browned. Drain and crumble.

2. Combine tomatoes, sauce, tomato paste (with can of water), white sugar, spices, and brown sugar until well blended.

3. In a slow cooker first add the ground meat and then pour tomato sauce over top. Stir until thoroughly mixed. If needed, stir in additional water. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. (or high for 4-5, just be sure to stir once in a while)

4. Taste and add spices to taste. If there is too much liquid, turn the slow cooker to high and leave the lid off until desired consistency.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:35:03 AM »
Stew meat is awesome.

Here is the one I used
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup spaghetti, 1 1/2 cups chili, 2 tablespoons onion, and 3 tablespoons cheese)

Ingredients
4  ounces  uncooked spaghetti
Cooking spray
8  ounces  lean ground turkey
1 1/2  cups  prechopped onion, divided
1  cup  chopped green bell pepper
1  tablespoon  bottled minced garlic
1  tablespoon  chili powder
2  tablespoons  tomato paste
1  teaspoon  ground cumin
1  teaspoon  dried oregano
1/4  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
1/8  teaspoon  ground allspice
1/2  cup  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1  (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1  (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 1/2  tablespoons  chopped semisweet chocolate
1/4  teaspoon  salt
3/4  cup  (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Preparation
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; set aside.

2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey; cook 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add 1 cup onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder and next 5 ingredients (through allspice); cook 1 minute. Add broth, beans, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate and salt. Serve chili over spaghetti; top with remaining 1/2 cup onion and cheese.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 408
Fat: 13.8g (sat 6.6g,mono 4.3g,poly 1.7g)
Protein: 24.5g
Carbohydrate: 47.4g
Fiber: 7.9g
Cholesterol: 67mg
Iron: 3.7mg
Sodium: 765mg
Calcium: 237mg

I made the mistake of buying tomatoes and dicing them.  So not worth the effort.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:48:55 PM »
speaking of garden food.....we had an over abundance of tomatoes this year, we were giving as much as we could away and still couldn't eat them all. I made puree from some of the last ripe ones and put it in jars; it will be good stuff for a winter tomato soup :) we also had a ton of green tomatoes that my wife made into a salad and jarred them as well - we have about 10 jars of that :D

some of our plants were a good 9 feet high :o overall, this was an awesome year for our garden. From roses, to currant, green beans, and grapes - i've never seen a harvest this nice.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.