Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 15154 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Oblivion
« on: March 21, 2006, 02:37:08 PM »
So I've been waiting for 3.5 years for it to come out...and here it is...of course I've also had the same computer for 3.5 years so I can't play it...

Anyone else get it?  As good as the hype?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
Re: Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 02:50:14 PM »
I preordered, get to pick it up after work today, whoohoo!  Anybody watch those countdown videos they had?  The one listed as "One Week to Go" was jaw-dropping.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 02:51:31 PM »
no...link?

I really wanted to watch the 12 hour marathon yesterday...but I didn't have time and didn't want to subscribe to gamespot for it....

edit: link
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »
Go here.  They are all pretty good, but the T-Minus One Week was by far my favorite.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 04:15:41 PM »
I'm just about to go and check the minimum specs.
 :(

Gametaku

• Founders
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 10:50:03 PM »
Stupid Job, If I didn't have to work I could of gone to the mall and got a copy before they were sold out and despite the fact that gamestops website says
""More On The Way": Our stores use a world-class inventory system which allows us to give each store the products it needs. If a shipment of this product is already on the way to the store, the column will say yes. Feel free to call the store to reserve a copy." 
Apparently I am not allowed to reserve a copy.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 10:55:15 AM »
Has ANYBODY played this yet??  I can't pick up my copy til tomorrow :(

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 11:50:08 AM »
I've decided to go get it when it comes out (Friday here which means I won't be able to find a copy until like next wednesday). My PC should be able to copy but I don't expect anything about 25 fps. Maybe there's an option to use DX8.1 for us folks who can't afford the hardware.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 04:38:14 PM »
Ok, I've played it but sadly I only had one hour and I spent that entire time just getting my character to look right.  The character generation is kind of a pain, no matter how hard I try the face always looks like it got bashed in with a sledge hammer.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 11:37:46 AM »
Are you playing the 360 or PC version?

If it's pC, what're your specs and how does it look? :)

If it's PC, we want screenies. Then we can compare our specs and get a rough idea what we'll get to see. Oh and if possible can we get an average FPS?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 11:49:26 AM »
If it's the PC, is the gameplay worsened by the fact that it was designed for XBox too?

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 11:50:12 AM »
Its the PC version but I don't know my specs off the top of my head, I'm at work right now.  I can post them later today though.  Its not an extremely high end computer though, I think it meets the minimum of their preferred specs.  Its playing well but I have yet to leave the opening dungeon and venture out into the real world where the real CPU strain hits.

Since it was designed for the XBOX and PC simultaneously I don't think theres any difference between the two versions except that you can mod the PC version.  But since I don't have an XBox I really don't know.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 11:56:59 AM »
I saw some complainys on amazon that it wasn't very custamizable (ie keyboard configs etc) because it was too exbox based...Any truth?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 02:06:29 PM »
If it's the PC, is the gameplay worsened by the fact that it was designed for XBox too?
Morrowind was designed for XBox, too.  It's not a port, it's just releasing it on different platforms.

I'm on a PC
GeForce 6600
1GB RAM
Athlon 2100+

To be honest, the game kind of chugs on it, unless I turn off background programs and put the resolution down to 800X600 (it's still gorgeous, but not as much).

It's a great game, and I've only got one (semi-major) complaint with it so far.  I've logged about 15 hours (and plan to play all night tonight), so I can answer questions if you have them.
I saw some complainys on amazon that it wasn't very custamizable (ie keyboard configs etc) because it was too exbox based...Any truth?
I haven't had any problems at all.  You can remap whatever you'd like.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 03:36:45 PM »
Is there the option to use DirectX 8.1?
I've got pretty much the same specs as you Govt. By chug do you mean like ~20 FPS like I get with CoD2 on DX9?
:(