Technical & Scientific > Hardware

Gaming computer

(1/6) > >>

ober:
So my kids are using computers more and more and my daughter uses my wife's old computer that I built and my son uses my computer.  Daughter is in the basement, son is in my office.  I have 2 issues to solve:

1) I need to either build or buy a computer for him so he's not using mine.  I am thinking desktop/tower since I would buy him a monitor either way.
2) My modem/router is currently in my office 2 floors up from the basement where the kids are.  The wireless reaches down there easily but they claim that the internet speed isn't as good and it's hard to play games online.  This second issue is something I might have to contact the cable company about.  I tried putting in a wifi extender but the speed and throughput was actually worse than without it.

So my question to you all is: do I build or buy a tower... and has anyone else dealt with the wireless issues I'm running into?

Mike:
Have you looked at a mesh network?  I use the Netgear Orbi and am happy with it.  My router is up stairs in a closet and I have a satellite that have two computers hard wired into.  I have another satellite out in the garage.  And we have a ton of wireless devices.  So in this case, you'd have the router where it is and put a satellite either in the basement or a floor down, wherever gives the best coverage.

I recently built a gaming tower for about a grand.  I'm probably going to use the same specs and rebuild my personal computer since it is old and having problems.

ober:
That Orbi system seems to be out of stock everywhere and on top of that it's kind of expensive.  I talked to Spectrum and they will run cables in my house for $50.  We'll see once they see what I want.

KnuckleBuckett:
If you can get copper get it.  No wireless competes with copper.  I use and dig Obi also, though not for my gaming PC which is on copper.

Some mesh systems are better at speed than others.  If you do go mesh take that into consideration.

Build a tower with him.

Asus mobo, AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, EVGA/Corsair/NZXT/Seasonic Power supply @ 650-700W, NZXT H510 series case, GPU AMD RX5700 8GB, at least 16GB of mem, and a 2K monitor with Freesync.  Solid machine with legs and an easy to build in case.

ober:
AMD processor?  I never thought I'd see the day... :D

I think I'm going to have them run wires.  It seems like the easiest option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version