Author Topic: I made a terrible mistake....  (Read 4289 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
I made a terrible mistake....
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:19:44 PM »
and bought a guitar.  In person lessons start on the 8th and the Rocksmith lessons start whenever amazon gets it back in stock (though I wonder if the Ubisoft office next to work has them...).  Been messing with it and having some fun.  Can imagine this being another expensive hobby (why can't I ever find the cheap ones?)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: I made a terrible mistake....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »
Good luck with that.  Is this another attempt to woo the ladies?  ;-)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »
I thought this was going to be another engagement thread.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »
Good luck with that.  Is this another attempt to woo the ladies?  ;-)
The nerd thing isn't working out so might as well try the douchebag with guitar shtick ;)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »
Give it a year. That's probably how long it'll take you to feel like you're decent at playing. It can pretty very frustrating for months and then eventually things will start to click. Lessons should help though.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
So I got tired of waiting for amazon to get rocksmith in stock so I went and picked it up in the store a few days ago.  It is pretty freaking cool.  The lessons are nicely done and there are arcade style minigames designed to work on particular skills.  Right now I'm working on mastering the basic shifting lesson and the arcade game for strumming particular strings.  The lessons auto adjust depending on how well you are doing and will stop and have you repeat particular areas and even slow it down until you get it (and then speed it back up).

Worse part is that I can only do 15-20 minutes at a time before my hand starts complaining and the game UI was designed for a console so it isn't great on the PC.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
Week 3 update (because I know you fuckers care):  Really enjoying it.  Biggest hangup (besides skill) is trying to get the music theory behind everything.  And on top of that the physics part of it.  I've had three lessons with the instructor and the last session I brought in my laptop and showed him rocksmith.  His response was that he would be purchasing it that night (since amazon had it for $30 off).  I've started to develop the callus on my fingers, mainly the left index, and overall my hands aren't complaining anymore.  I found a feature on Rocksmith that has you play songs back to back for a specified period of time.  Really nice when I don't feel like doing the technique games or working on a particular song but I want to do at least a 20 minute session.  I've noticed that I'm starting to notice when I'm strumming too hard for the song and can dial it back a little.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 03:27:31 PM »
Oh the joy of changing strings.  Borked the first set and thought I had the second set until I trimmed them and it popped out of the post.  Since I needed more strings I just took it into the shop and the maintenance guy showed me how to put them on.  Gotta say that getting your hand nailed by the high E string HURTS