Author Topic: SMF is way behind  (Read 4976 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
SMF is way behind
« on: June 28, 2012, 03:34:55 AM »
I just tried a demo of VB 4.0, holy cow that system is so impressive out of the box. 90% of what it does SMF doesn't even have a mod for. I think me and my friend are going to buy VB for our project. I mean hell we can buy it for a reasonable price and the mobile app stuff for iphone and android is included. Amazing.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: SMF is way behind
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »
I still hate VB, and I'm not going to buy it for here when SMF gets the job done.  I'm curious what you think is so much better?  What does it do?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:16:20 AM »
The biggest thing that it does from the get go is it just seems much more professional. For a forum that intends to house vendors and paid advertisers for example a VB forum is going to have more appeal even out of the box then your average SMFor PHPBB3 forum.

Behind the scenes it comes loaded with tools that take effort to integrate into SMF and often work poorly. Out of the box it comes loaded with things you need and it just plain works.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »
The biggest thing that it does from the get go is it just seems much more professional. For a forum that intends to house vendors and paid advertisers for example a VB forum is going to have more appeal even out of the box then your average SMFor PHPBB3 forum.

Behind the scenes it comes loaded with tools that take effort to integrate into SMF and often work poorly. Out of the box it comes loaded with things you need and it just plain works.
Talk about a BS marketing style answer.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:07:38 PM »
I don't think payphones use Android

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
If vBulletin will stop marking all threads as read when I leave the site even when I haven't opened them, then I'll consider it to be good software.

Until then, I hate vBulletin.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »
mike, make an ES Android App so I can easiliy read from my pyhone
www.tapatalk.com  We already have the software installed here.  And yes, it's $2.99, but it's the best forum reader out there and it connects to any forum software as long as the forum is running the plugin.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »
If vBulletin will stop marking all threads as read when I leave the site even when I haven't opened them, then I'll consider it to be good software.

The VB sites i frequent hold any posts i do not read as new, and then after midnight it shows them as new, but from the previous day.

mike, make an ES Android App so I can easiliy read from my pyhone
www.tapatalk.com  We already have the software installed here.  And yes, it's $2.99, but it's the best forum reader out there and it connects to any forum software as long as the forum is running the plugin.

When you search for tapatalk in the market there is a free option that works here

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »

The VB sites i frequent hold any posts i do not read as new, and then after midnight it shows them as new, but from the previous day.

I've used VBulletin sites for years, including CProg. It marks threads as read even if you don't click on them. Happens all the time, the same way on every forum.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »
Hmm...don't have this issue with 3.8.2. Maybe it is a setting?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 05:32:32 PM »
Fuck! It just did it to me right now on a forum running vBulletin 4.0.4. I am usually careful when reading those forums to avoid this problem, but I got distracted by some work emails and went about 20 minutes without touching the site. When I got back, all the threads were marked as read except those that had been posted in since I last clicked on something.

I HATE when that happens. Fucking vBulletin piece of shit software.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »
We just did a reboot of our gaming clan forums with SMF and are very pleased.  Could not be happier.  Like that TapTalk too.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 01:37:29 AM »
Fuck! It just did it to me right now on a forum running vBulletin 4.0.4. I am usually careful when reading those forums to avoid this problem, but I got distracted by some work emails and went about 20 minutes without touching the site. When I got back, all the threads were marked as read except those that had been posted in since I last clicked on something.

Clearly someone was reading threads on your account while you weren't looking

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »

I was playing around in the Admin CP and it turns out there is a setting that controls this. Admins can set in days or hours how long to store something as unread before clearing it out. A little research shows that most admins set this to a very low number, which is probably your issue. I have it set to 5 days.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 04:12:27 PM »
Oops, I was just on vacation for five days. I guess all those threads I meant to come back to are now marked as read. Bummer.

;)