Author Topic: Need language advice  (Read 2769 times)

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
Need language advice
« on: August 11, 2012, 02:43:19 AM »
I am a little behind when it comes to programming languages, really only been working in Java UI and SQL the last 5 years or so.  My department is looking for me to create a little automated tool that executes nightly, runs stored procedures from two different database servers, combines the data from the queries and prints the results into an Excel sheet.

Now I am positive with a bit of research this is all doable in Java but I was wondering if anyone knew a language that might be better suited for this task?  No doubt there are many languages better at running SQL Server queries, but one that also easily works with Excel?  Java is such overkill when it comes to stuff like this.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Re: Need language advice
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:00:50 AM »
You could probably do that in vb.net in a fairly short time. The excel stuff would certainly be a doddle.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
Noun   1.   doddle - an easy task
child's play, cinch, duck soup, piece of cake, pushover, breeze, walkover, picnic, snap - any undertaking that is easy to do; "marketing this product will be no picnic"

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:41:40 AM »
Noun   1.   doddle - an easy task
child's play, cinch, duck soup, piece of cake, pushover, breeze, walkover, picnic, snap - any undertaking that is easy to do; "marketing this product will be no picnic"

Ha, yeah. Sorry.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:19:24 AM »
C# integrates well with SQL server and Excel. I did that once when I was working at MS.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »
... and if you know Java, C# is easy. It's basically just java with extra capital letters.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 12:05:56 AM »
Thanks for the help, I've done very little in C# but you are right, it seems easy to pick up after Java.  If it handles Excel then I am sold, from what I can tell it is a pain and rather bug prone to manipulate Excel in Java.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 08:46:57 PM »
I'm always going to tell you to go with PHP, just because it's fast and easy.  I've used the shit out of this library with excellent results: http://phpexcel.codeplex.com/

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »
what relational database are you using?  if it's MS SQL Server >= 2005, look into SSIS.  it's designed for tasks like you described and is extensible using any .NET language.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
I don't know anything about PHP but I'm all for learning new languages so I'll look into it.  I've used a little bit of SSIS but only to move data from one DB to another on a schedule, never considered using it for something like this.  Lot of options now, this is great, thanks guys!