Author Topic: The importance of small, well-commented commits and inline code commenting  (Read 4396 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
A project manager just asked me to find out why a "JD Power" callout box was missing from certain pages of a website.  While it should have been his job to know why, it sure as hell helped that I write useful comments on everything I do and make source control commits often.  I was able to quickly find both *when* the change was made and more importantly, jog my memory as to *why.*
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
I like to link people to this blog post about git commit messages: http://tbaggery.com/2008/04/19/a-note-about-git-commit-messages.html

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
What is a jd power callout anyways?  I saw a reference to that in some code once and didn't understand the reference.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
A project manager just asked me to find out why a "JD Power" callout box was missing from certain pages of a website.  While it should have been his job to know why, it sure as hell helped that I write useful comments on everything I do and make source control commits often.  I was able to quickly find both *when* the change was made and more importantly, jog my memory as to *why.*

Love that stuff...

Boss: Why did you make that change to the application? It doesn't make sense!
Employee: I've attached the email thread you sent me last month where you asked me to make that change. It also happens to include the part where I told you it doesn't make sense.

I also have co-workers who are constantly worried about making mistakes. Then they'll message me about something they're fixing and comment about how somebody made some dumb mistake. I look up what happened and I see it was that person who made the mistake, but I don't say anything because I don't want to make them feel bad (and I don't care who messed up). The best part is later in the day they'll send a message, "doh! that was me." Good times.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
If you know how to ask it git will tell you all the dirty secrets.  But seriously, having some sort of paper trail is a must.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
"doh! that was me." Good times.

Sign of a good co-worker
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
When I got back to VIE I was like "Who wrote this crappy code? <git blame> Damn it, it is my crappy code!"

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
One drag about working in the same code for 15 years is that you see your shit from 15 years ago that still has your name on it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Yeah, commit histories are both a godsend and an annoyance depending on the situation.