Author Topic: Anyone ever use these for networking?  (Read 3479 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Anyone ever use these for networking?
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »
http://www.plasternetworks.com/products/products-pln3.html

I am seriously considering getting a set.

My wife is on wireless G.  Every two weeks or so, her computer simply won't communicate with the router.  I have tried multiple OSes and have noticed it on multiple adapters and both her old and new PC do this.  Must be a router setting that I can't seem to locate.

The fix is to log into my router (Netgear) and turn off security.  Save.  Then turn it back on again.  Reboot her PC and everything is fine for another week or two.  I would get another router but this this is great otherwise.  No other issues whatsoever.  Fast, low ping, easy to use and I have had it for a long time issue free.  Unlike the POS Linksys I had previously.  What a nightmare that thing was.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Anyone ever use these for networking?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:09:14 PM »
Interesting product.  I'd be curious to see how it actually works out.  Seems expensive... but what are you gonna do?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 01:30:16 PM »
Beats trying to run cables behind walls.  I don't need a super fast connection.  Just a very reliable connection.  The product got a great review in CPU and the Amazon customers like it.

I think you need to purchase two to get a network rolling though.  I would get three eventually. 

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:27:20 PM »
Wouldn't that add noise to your power? Perhaps causing ground issues with audio gear and such? I'm not well versed on how ethernet over power works.
This signature intentionally left blank.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:19:34 PM »
Wouldn't that add noise to your power? Perhaps causing ground issues with audio gear and such? I'm not well versed on how ethernet over power works.
Sure it would, but I doubt any home user is going to care. Keep in mind that 60Hz is within human hearing range, and yet we don't hear that on audio equipment because of the way it's designed. Your power is probably pretty noisy as it is, anyways.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:22:03 AM »
Linksys rules.....but that aside, fuck those things. That is a lot of money to simply avoid finding the cause. The first step is to disable the security and see if it still happens. I'm betting it will, and the problem is that you need to chance the frequency your wireless is operating on. If it's on 6, swap to 11, and if it's on 11, swap to 6. If the security is the problem, disable it and use mac filtering.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »
Sure it would, but I doubt any home user is going to care.
You don't know Knuck (aka. THE audiophile) very well, now do you?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »
lol

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 12:35:19 AM »
You don't know Knuck (aka. THE audiophile) very well, now do you?
Well now you've got me reading about power supplies and rectification. I'm actually curious how audio equipment (and other equipment) produces steady DC power especially since "clean" power strips specifically marketed for AV applications exist. Anyways, when I looked up the frequency for BPL it's apparently just on the edge of human hearing range, so maybe you'd hear a high-pitched ring...

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 11:02:37 PM »
My friend had a set of them, was very happy with them, just sold them on recently because he changed to a cable internet provider.

Other than that, on the wireless front I had once had a cheap wireless card that hated the laptop I had at the time. Worked fine in other laptops but constantly dropped connections in mine. I swapped it for a Netgear wireless card in exchange for setting up the router for a friend and had no problems after that. The netgear router I used to have with my old internet provider went through phases were it needed restarted every couple of hours, that was a pain in the ass.