Author Topic: The Hunger Games  (Read 4884 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
The Hunger Games
« on: October 04, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »
It needs it's own thread. I'm trying to avoid spoilers since I have not finished them all.

So I finished Book One today. I saw the movie prior and I loved it but truth be told I love the book and now hate the movie. Ok maybe hate is too strong, but it certainly does the book no justice. They should have made it 15-30 minutes longer and stayed true to the book. People would have appreciated that just like they did with LOTR. There is so much small detail she gives in the book that carries much more in the book. Her father, the full extent of complication with her and Peeta, the way she understands what Haymitch is conveying with each of the gifts (or lack there of) it could all have been portrayed so much better. The movie fails in comparison the the detailed and vivid story spelled out by the author.

I am now on Book Two, according to the Kindle I am 44% through it already. I am just passed where Katniss things "I anticipated many things, but never this" after a TV announcement. I sort of saw it coming in the beginning of the book but there is so much going on the author has a way of still delivering the news as a shocking revelation.

I can't put it down.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: The Hunger Games
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:50:21 AM »
Most books will not hand everything to you like you are being given in this one. I think the movie did a fantastic job of staying true to the book and still making a kick ass movie out of it. It would be pretty boring to see her search for water for three days. A movie has to move along faster than a book does.

>>she understands what Haymitch is conveying with each of the gifts

I thought that was done really well, and got the point before reading the book.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:02:23 PM »
See then it went over my head. Maybe I should watch the movie again, having read the book. It will be interesting to see what they do with the second one, it is packed full of stuff. I'm a little over half way through it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »
Yea - that's actually what I thought they did well in the movie.  They stuck really true to the book....they just skirted a lot of the things that they didn't have time for.  If you knew the book, most of that stuff was there in one liners or small moments...if you didn't know the book - you probably missed it, but it was still a fun movie.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:45:13 AM »
Finished Book Two, started on Three. I am honestly taken by surprise with how the second concludes, the revelations of things at play much bigger then the two of them but that were so blatently elluded to wit the watch at the party.

I will say this, I am totally Team Peeta. Fuck Gale.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:20:43 AM »
So I'm almost done with #3, I'm just passed the exit of the sewer in the capitol. I'm going to be really sad when I'm done the last book, this is really a great series. The intensity of this area of #3 is incredible to the point that sometimes I take a break from reading because the anticipation kills me and because I want to prolong the experience.

I really can't remember the last time I enjoyed a book(s) so much. OH and Kindle is the SHIT, everyone on the planet should have one.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 02:58:07 AM »
Finished.

Did the conclusion seem rushed to anyone else? Almost like you followed this long, intricate story to have the finale be rushed through.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »
It's been so long......
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
/***************Don't read past here if you intend to read the third book and have not yet**********************/

The problem I have with it is there is a ton of buildup as they fight to get to Snow's mansion. They escape the sewer, hide out a bit, and then move out to the mansion. From that point on it's just a fast chaotic thing where Prim dies with some kids in a bombing that also knocks out and burns up Katniss. That's it for Katniss's great trip to the capital, she wakes up after the rebels have won and basically waits to execute Snow.

It's lacking in satisfaction because she never makes it to the president's mansion herself. The conversation with Snow would have been so much better if it took place because Katniss got to him and had him at arrow point and then captured him.

I dunno it feels like the writer got close to the end and was just ready to be done with it. Perhaps the books were just so well done that no ending could live up to expectations.