Author Topic: Peace Corps  (Read 7351 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Peace Corps
« on: April 10, 2005, 11:56:00 PM »
I'm really thinking about volunteering for the Peace Corps. I feel that this is the time (or rather after I graduate this December) I need to get away from here. I need to leave, and be alone for a couple of years. I'd also love to help people, so this seems like a good choice. I understand that the helping people bit should be the first on my list, but hey, I'm kind of selfinsh like that. I've begun the application process tonite, as it is rather freagin lengthy. Also, I heard that the selection process is pretty rigid...

what do you guys think about this? I'd love to hear some of your thoughs.

website for the peace corps: http://peacecorps.gov/
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Peace Corps
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 11:58:49 PM »
The real peace corps
jk ;)

Go for it.  I had a professor that did it and he really enjoyed it

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Peace Corps
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 11:59:40 PM »
I've thought about doing that as well, but I feel like I'm too old (never minding that I'm not much older than you).

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Peace Corps
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 12:03:35 AM »
Quote from: Govtcheez
I've thought about doing that as well, but I feel like I'm too old (never minding that I'm not much older than you).

from the research I did, most volunteers are actual either in their late 20's or early 30's  or over 45...   so thats not an excuse cheez!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Peace Corps
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 12:07:22 AM »
BTW, the regions I would be lloking at are Pacific Islands, Latin America, and the Caribbean. I'm pretty limited in the fact that I don't speak fluent French or Spanish - I do understand French though.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Peace Corps
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 02:33:32 AM »
Quote from: axon
I'm really thinking about volunteering for the Peace Corps. I feel that this is the time (or rather after I graduate this December) I need to get away from here. I need to leave, and be alone for a couple of years. I'd also love to help people, so this seems like a good choice. I understand that the helping people bit should be the first on my list, but hey, I'm kind of selfinsh like that. I've begun the application process tonite, as it is rather freagin lengthy. Also, I heard that the selection process is pretty rigid...

what do you guys think about this? I'd love to hear some of your thoughs.

website for the peace corps: http://peacecorps.gov/

Join the Airforce instead.  They pay WAY better, you get to go to foreign lands without having to carry a backpack and a gun (e.g. Army/Marines)...  and you can get a good job when you get out.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Peace Corps
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 07:31:01 AM »
Sounds like it'd be something worth doing axon.  Beta, I don't think it's about the pay so much as it is the experience he's gonna get from it.  

I'm actually thinking of working for the Red Cross at some stage in the next 5 years.  Don't know why, just seems like it'd be an interesting thing to do.  Yes, in case you haven't noticed, I have no plans for my life other than random ideas - like going to live in Ireland/UK in 2006 until 2008.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Peace Corps
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 07:55:22 AM »
Quote from: axon
from the research I did, most volunteers are actual either in their late 20's or early 30's  or over 45...   so thats not an excuse cheez!

Huh, didn't know that.

Well, good luck with it.  Know that you're doing something some of us wish we could do.

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
Peace Corps
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 08:07:37 AM »
Quote from: '[stealthy
']Sounds like it'd be something worth doing axon.  Beta, I don't think it's about the pay so much as it is the experience he's gonna get from it.  

I'm actually thinking of working for the Red Cross at some stage in the next 5 years.  Don't know why, just seems like it'd be an interesting thing to do.  Yes, in case you haven't noticed, I have no plans for my life other than random ideas - like going to live in Ireland/UK in 2006 until 2008.

Well look us up if you ever end up in my neck of the woods!

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Peace Corps
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 08:11:13 AM »
Waiting for me passport to come through - planning a month holiday from June 30-July 30.  Will be around London, Dublin and maybe a bit o Scottish Land as well.  So you owe me a pint!

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
Peace Corps
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 08:29:04 AM »
Sounds cool by me mate, Edinburgh is worth seeing.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Peace Corps
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 08:49:45 AM »
All I have to say is, do it before you get tied down.  I considered the Navy at one point, but love, higher education, and the desire not to be pounded in the ass by 100 seamen in a sub for 6 months kept me at home.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Peace Corps
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 08:58:10 AM »
>>I considered the Navy at one point, but love, higher education, and the desire not to be pounded in the ass by 100 seamen in a sub for 6 months kept me at home.<<

HAHAHAHAHA! *wipes tear from eye*.  Classic.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Peace Corps
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 12:19:26 PM »
your gonna join the Canadian military?

... *reads link* ....

ahhh, i see. Sounds like a pretty cool experience. I'd love to see more of the world too,