Author Topic: RIAA Getting Crazy  (Read 5358 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: RIAA Getting Crazy
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »
nah...

Not gonna say it.

:rolleyes:

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:03:35 PM »
the my posting sumthin bout the RIAA is ironic? fuk them ima pirate if i wanna
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:05:20 AM »
OK, serious question then RoD.

What would it take to stop you? I don't mean in terms of punishment, I mean in terms of a fair form of music distribution.

Or is it just that you think you're perfectly entitled to steal peoples hard work regardless? If so, please PM me your bank account details. After all, fuk you, ima steel if i wanna :dunno:

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 07:31:04 AM »
Plug for iTunes...$1.69 a song (Australian store).  I've downloaded about 60 tracks and didn't have to rip anyone off :)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »

What would it take to stop you? I don't mean in terms of punishment, I mean in terms of a fair form of music distribution.

Or is it just that you think you're perfectly entitled to steal peoples hard work regardless? If so, please PM me your bank account details. After all, fuk you, ima steel if i wanna :dunno:

How can you read the post that started this thread and ask anyone that?

When the RIAA starts using the customer base as its direct feedback, paying the artists what they are worth, and stops being just plain evil, maybe more folks will consider purchasing music legally again.

I have stopped dealing with anything the RIAA has to offer.  They are an organization based soley on greed and hate.  Screw them.  I have no issue with the public fighting back.  If theft is the olnly way to comat the RIAA reich then so be it.  It is not like the RIAA is acting even the least bit reasonable here.  See start of thread.

CD Baby for me man.  An ideal model for the RIAA and the polar opposite of the current RIAA groups.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »
Revolution!!!!
This signature intentionally left blank.

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »
CD Baby for me man.  An ideal model for the RIAA and the polar opposite of the current RIAA groups.

Absolutely.

*shameless plug* http://cdbaby.com/stepsteviestep

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »

When the RIAA starts using the customer base as its direct feedback, paying the artists what they are worth, and stops being just plain evil, maybe more folks will consider purchasing music legally again.

No they won't. Nobody pirates out of principle. They do it
because they're cheap, lazy, and consider music a fleeting,
trivial form of entertainment.  When people rally against
a company, they generally boycott. Not break their windows
and steal their inventory. If you don't want to support the
RIAA or the artists, then don't buy the music. You're not
entitled to it.

I disagree.  I know better.  People want good safe from viri original music.  Few want to have to fool with teh illegal stuff.  Kill the bullshit digital limitations, sell each cut at a reasonable price, give much more to the artists, and make each cut playable for demo.  That would kill 80% of the theft.

If the artists want to distribute their music digitally, for free,
then that's great. But let them make the choice as to how they
get paid for their time. It's absolutely ridiculous for you to use
how they pay their artists as a reason for your piracy, because
you're method guarantees them even less than what the labels
are paying them.

No.  You are helping the studios rape the artists.

I have stopped dealing with anything the RIAA has to offer.  They are an organization based soley on greed and hate.  Screw them.  I have no issue with the public fighting back.  If theft is the olnly way to comat the RIAA reich then so be it.  It is not like the RIAA is acting even the least bit reasonable here.  See start of thread.

Every industry is based on greed. It's not the public that's
fighting back. The RIAA are the ones fighting back,
considering that piracy came first. I don't like the RIAA, or
the current state of music but I respect the art and craft of
songwriting enough to attribute  a worth to it; even if only a
slight amount of that worth actually goes to the artists.

RIAA had bee screwing everyone from customers to the atrists for decades.  Artists have regularly bitched about this mistreatment for as long as I can remember.  When the ability to fight back came along people jumped at it.  The consumer has voiced a desire and the antique RIAA simply wasn't (still really isnt) interested in responding in an acceptable way.  Until they do so, the public along with upstart companies like CD Baby will increasingly force their hand.  It is called capitalism.  Honestly why would the RIAA respond otherwise.  They have a virtual monopoly.  No reason to make expensive changes. 

95% of the music on CD Baby is shitty. I've bought one
CD from them (ES Posthumus, Unearthed).

This is simply a matter of personal taste.  I have maybe twenty CDs from them and have been thrilled.  Great variety, not top 40, good sound quality, great prices, artists are treated well, shipping is reasonable if you choose not to download, it has been a great service.  I have no problem paying what they ask.  If the RIAA groups would follow such a path the US based lawsuits would be a nonissue.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 01:53:31 PM »

entitled to it.

I disagree.  I know better.  People want good safe from viri original music.  Few want to have to fool with teh illegal stuff.  Kill the bullshit digital limitations, sell each cut at a reasonable price, give much more to the artists, and make each cut playable for demo.  That would kill 80% of the theft.

are paying them.

RIAA had bee screwing everyone from customers to the atrists for decades.  Artists have regularly bitched about this mistreatment for as long as I can remember.  When the ability to fight back came along people jumped at it.  The consumer has voiced a desire and the antique RIAA simply wasn't (still really isnt) interested in responding in an acceptable way.  Until they do so, the public along with upstart companies like CD Baby will increasingly force their hand.  It is called capitalism.  Honestly why would the RIAA respond otherwise.  They have a virtual monopoly.  No reason to make expensive changes. 

This is simply a matter of personal taste.  I have maybe twenty CDs from them and have been thrilled.  Great variety, not top 40, good sound quality, great prices, artists are treated well, shipping is reasonable if you choose not to download, it has been a great service.  I have no problem paying what they ask.  If the RIAA groups would follow such a path the US based lawsuits would be a nonissue.

I just wanted to quote something really large. :P
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »

entitled to it.

are paying them.

I just wanted to quote something really large. :P

I totally understand the need.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »

entitled to it.

how the RIAA pay their artists as a reason for your piracy,
because you're method guarantees the artists even less than
what the labels are paying them.

I am shocked that you typed an arguement of that quality.  Please teach RoD and Yarin

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »

entitled to it.

how the RIAA pay their artists as a reason for your piracy,
because you're method guarantees the artists even less than
what the labels are paying them.

:cool:

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »
+1 for  :rad: 's points
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »
C'mon Knuck. RoD posts that he pirates music like he's entitled to. Regardless of any view on the RIAA and their practises, as a legal purchaser of music you just have to see that as wrong. I simply asked as a genuine question if there was anything the music industry could do to get him to purchase music of if, as I suspect, he'd steal it even if it cost 20c a track, and the artist got 100% of that.

I suspect he steals it because he believes it's his right to do so. Problem is, in a few years there won't be any music to buy. No-one wants to work for free.

*waits for arguments about making money from live shows*