Author Topic: Our coffee sucks  (Read 11988 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Our coffee sucks
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 12:05:50 PM »
my parents had a gold filter for years when I was a kid.  I actually still have it, as I inherited that Krups pot (but don't use it).  And now I have the filter baset k-cup thing which works on the same idea but isn't gold.  Actually, other than when I worked at 7-Eleven in college and made coffee with a comercial machine, I've never actually used a paper filter in my life.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
Anyone use the gold coffee filter thing?
One came with mine.  I used it for awhile switched over to paper and don't notice a difference

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
We tried both and ended up staying with the gold one.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »
Knuck, I'll give you a call later.  I was in a meeting when you called before.  Ours has a small leak (as reported by other reviews on Amazon) and Samantha said it was way more noticeable after trying to clean it this morning.  So we might be on the hunt for a new one/replacement.

And yeah, having 2 SBs within 5 miles of you is kind of insane.  That must be new.

Edit: we had a plastic filter for a while and then switched to paper.  We looked at the gold filter but I think paper is just fine.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
The gold was just fine, I just didn't like cleaning it every time and paper filters cost nothing

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »
Ceramic drip! Really cuts acidity and brings out flavor, but is sort of time consuming. I've only ordered it at one coffee place consistantly.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 02:52:50 PM »
I had to laugh at the SB vs DD. I don't think I've ever even seen a DD but they have commercials all the time. Everywhere I've ever lived had a SB on just about every corner

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »
I'm down with WaWa brand.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »
Knuck, I'll give you a call later.  I was in a meeting when you called before.  Ours has a small leak (as reported by other reviews on Amazon) and Samantha said it was way more noticeable after trying to clean it this morning.  So we might be on the hunt for a new one/replacement.

And yeah, having 2 SBs within 5 miles of you is kind of insane.  That must be new.

Edit: we had a plastic filter for a while and then switched to paper.  We looked at the gold filter but I think paper is just fine.

Remember Roadsters at 30 and Stouffer Ave.?  That is a SBs and as with Gov we have one in our Target at the "new" Walker Road exit.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »
Ahh... that makes more sense then.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:51 PM »
I am heading out.  Going to The Hong Kong for a big ol pile of egg rolls.

Call me at home if ya want to.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 10:16:38 AM »
Try using a french press, I bought one at the grocery store for $10. Comes out way better than the drip maker and it's easier to clean (basically just rinse it out).

As for brand, I buy the pre-ground Illy. It's a little more expensive than other brands but it is really good coffee. I like my coffee black and strong, and I agree with everyone's view on Starbucks in this thread... over-roasted or sometimes flat out burned.

Also, Tim Hortons is a great choice for drip makers. It's cheap and pretty tasty (though never as tasty as the Timmy's makes it).

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »
I consider myself somewhat of a coffee snob. My favorite is french press. I think it has the most flavor. I'm also a big fan of manual drip. I splurged recently and bought the Hario Buono water kettle which is great for being able to control the water. I'll also recommend spending a bit more and getting a good Burr grinder.

My general steps to better coffee:
1. Filtered water (better water == better coffee)
2. Grind your own beans (only as much as you're going to use for the next pot)
3. Burr grinder (more consistency)
4. Better method (french press/drip whatever)

One thing I've learned from videos and research is most people don't use enough coffee. It's not intuitive but more coffee can actually make better coffee too. Otherwise you end up over extracting bitter flavors which makes your coffee taste bad. And my favorite trick (from Good eats), a pinch of salt. If you're dealing with crappy bitter coffee, a pinch of salt can take the edge off. Although it's very easy to over do it. My preference for dealing with bitter church coffee is adding cocoa powder. Poor man's mocha.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
Try using a french press, I bought one at the grocery store for $10. Comes out way better than the drip maker and it's easier to clean (basically just rinse it out).

As for brand, I buy the pre-ground Illy. It's a little more expensive than other brands but it is really good coffee. I like my coffee black and strong, and I agree with everyone's view on Starbucks in this thread... over-roasted or sometimes flat out burned.

Also, Tim Hortons is a great choice for drip makers. It's cheap and pretty tasty (though never as tasty as the Timmy's makes it).
+1

Oh and I plugged in the backup I was offering...it would not power up...sorry about that.  Must have been banged in the cupboard or something.

Get the press or a Cuisinart DCC-1200.  That model is a rare gem.

Note the overwhelming 5 star ratings.  $70 is a fair price.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-1200-Central-Programmable-Coffeemaker/dp/B00005IBX9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323115557&sr=8-1

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 03:11:22 PM »
I consider myself somewhat of a coffee snob. My favorite is french press. I think it has the most flavor. I'm also a big fan of manual drip. I splurged recently and bought the Hario Buono water kettle which is great for being able to control the water. I'll also recommend spending a bit more and getting a good Burr grinder.

My general steps to better coffee:
1. Filtered water (better water == better coffee)
2. Grind your own beans (only as much as you're going to use for the next pot)
3. Burr grinder (more consistency)
4. Better method (french press/drip whatever)

One thing I've learned from videos and research is most people don't use enough coffee. It's not intuitive but more coffee can actually make better coffee too. Otherwise you end up over extracting bitter flavors which makes your coffee taste bad. And my favorite trick (from Good eats), a pinch of salt. If you're dealing with crappy bitter coffee, a pinch of salt can take the edge off. Although it's very easy to over do it. My preference for dealing with bitter church coffee is adding cocoa powder. Poor man's mocha.

Which grinder?  Just curious.  Since I found Horton's I have put the grinder on the back burner so to speak.

Oh and I agree with the pinch of salt.  Small pinch.  On crappy coffee.  Like Folgers.