Author Topic: Simple veggie side  (Read 4821 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Simple veggie side
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:44:48 AM »
Tired of salads right now (especially twice in a day) so decided to get an artichoke but while at the store I picked up some more carrots and zucchini.  As an addition to the choke I made this simple side:

Shred carrot and zucchini (I went for about 50/50).  Ground in some black pepper, touch of vinegar (probably didn't need it), and some celery salt.  If I had celery seed I would have used that instead of the salt.  Mixed it up.

The texture of the shredded vegetables is different from a salad and the taste difference was nice.  I made this up while waiting the 5 minutes for the grill to heat up.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Simple veggie side
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 09:13:01 AM »
Artichokes rule.  My favorite veggie.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »
Artichokes rule.  My favorite veggie.

Ashleys too, but imo so much work for so little. Great dipped in melted butter.

Mike thanks for the idea, i'm going to have more carrots and zucchini then i knew what to do with and this is a healthy idea.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:40 AM »
Great dipped in melted butter.
I did this last night:  Take a nice ripe avocado and cut it into small pieces into a bowl, add lemon juice and a little bit of salt, and then mash and mix till the avocado is creamy.  Great dipping spread.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
I did this last night:  Take a nice ripe avocado and cut it into small pieces into a bowl, add lemon juice and a little bit of salt, and then mash and mix till the avocado is creamy.  Great dipping spread.

so, guacamole?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »
made this the other night: take some elbow macaroni and put in boiling water for 8-10 minutes.  add milk, cheese and butter to taste.  serve with hot dogs

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
 :rofl2:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
Tired of salads right now (especially twice in a day) so decided to get an artichoke but while at the store I picked up some more carrots and zucchini.  As an addition to the choke I made this simple side:

Shred carrot and zucchini (I went for about 50/50).  Ground in some black pepper, touch of vinegar (probably didn't need it), and some celery salt.  If I had celery seed I would have used that instead of the salt.  Mixed it up.

The texture of the shredded vegetables is different from a salad and the taste difference was nice.  I made this up while waiting the 5 minutes for the grill to heat up.

In Argentina shredded carrot with pieces of hardboiled egg is a pretty common salad. Also, they generally use a little vegetable oil and salt as dressing which I really like (I don't really like any of the typical salad dressings).

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 10:42:24 AM »

so, guacamole?
Not really.  Guacamole is going to have other spices, cilantro, onion, tomato (sometimes), etc.  It is more like avocado with salsa added.

Edit:  Also, you would use lime instead of lemon juice.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »
made this the other night: take some elbow macaroni and put in boiling water for 8-10 minutes.  add milk, cheese and butter to taste.  serve with hot dogs
ewww hot dogs.  What are you, 5?  Sausage > hot dogs

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »
i am 5

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »
Very well then.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
<3 Jeremy

I was going to ask if you can eat the whole artichoke because i thought it was just the part you scrape off with your teeth. That is when i finally realized you said avocado, and felt like a jackass. I was talking about artichokes in butter, that is Ashleys favorite veggie. I have actually never had an avocado that wasn't part of something else.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
I know you were talking about artichokes in butter.  I'm saying you can replace the butter with avocado

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
fuck you did originally say artichoke....

don't mind me, i'm stoned off my ass.