Author Topic: basic hiking gear  (Read 4344 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
basic hiking gear
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:57:50 PM »
So it turns out I like going on reasonably long (3 to 5 mile) walks by myself.  I don't mind urban walking but I've discovered that I really enjoy finding local trails. Many are converted rail lines that are flat and often paved but I'm starting to get a bit more adventerous, finding river trails and even taking some hillier terrain.

Anyway, yesterday, I did a short (<3 mile) walk and it became painfully clear that I can't wear regular sneakers off road.  That got me thinking about how woefully under prepared I am to ever do any real hikes, I mean, people who spend half a day in the woods usually carry stuff with them, right? I don't have any money or actual plans to buy anything right now, but if I'm making a mentalChristmas list, what kind of gear is not a bad idea to have?   Starting with what kind of shoes I should wear? Is there any value in "walking poles?" If its only a 2 or 3 hour hike, should I carry a daybag or is it not worth it? etc etc...
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: basic hiking gear
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »
I'm curious what your current sneakers are that they felt that terrible on a trail? I've worn fairly minimal trail running shoes and not felt like my feet were going to fall off on hikes (new balance minimus trail).

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 06:16:29 AM »
I second Jenn's post.

That said I have had great luck with Merril over many many years.  Right now I am using their Moab series.  If you pay attention you can get some really great sales on them.  I picked up two pairs for over half off a few months back.  Durable, comfortable, and the insoles can be replaced as needed.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:04:43 AM »
I wore my sketchers (something like these: http://www.shoebuy.com/skechers-sparta/240730) over a trail that was all roots and stones.  After a mile, I felt like I was walking barefoot on legos.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 07:55:37 AM »
I'd say a daypack wouldn't be a bad investment for 2-3 hour hikes or even longer.  Something with some side pockets for water bottles, I've got an LL Bean something or other.  It was a little less than $100, and I use it for luggage at least as much as I do for hiking.

Trekking poles are helpful if you're doing a lot of climbing (not like rock climbing, but lots of hills) or carrying a heavy load.  If you're not doing that, I wouldn't bother with them for now.

The most important thing for hiking is your boots or shoes, bar none.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:21:11 AM »
When I went day hiking I did it in the middle of nowhere in the mountains, going off of established trails, and usually getting temporarily mislocated.  So I planned for that and had the following gear as my basic gear:

• 18 L Daypack from REI
  • 3 L water bladder.  The one I have has a magnetic backing on the bite valve that attaches to a metal plate on the chest strap.  It fucking rocks.  No hose bouncing around.
  • My current boots are a pair of Vasque and are great but pricey.  I'd probably start out on a cheaper pair for now.
  • Hiking pants are nice as they are lighter weight and breath better.  But not really required.
  • Long sleeve fishing shirts are awesome.  They are light weight, breath great, and all the ones I have are designed to let you roll the sleeves up and hold them.  Plus you can get them in colors other than tan, green, brown, or white.
  • Food!  I liked salami and gouda.
  • Map and compass.
  • Trekking poles.  They aren't that useful on level and smooth paths but in the hills or in rough terrain they are awesome.  Even on the level and smooth paths I've found them helpful in keeping pace (especially towards the end).
  • First aid kit.  Included in it is some mosquito bite anti-itch stuff.  (Tip:  Antiperspirant also works)

My recommended order of acquiring things:  Map and compass, boots, daypack and water bladder, clothes, poles.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
I never go out on a hike without my Leatherman.

Vasque is a great brand.  I used them until I ran into Merril.

Sunscreen.  Never leave home without it IMO.  Use it year round.  Use the Nivea for light walks.  If you are going to do a tougher hike the Loreal is amazing.  Both are easy to use, do not burn your eyes, don't stink, and don't make you feel like you just stuck your head in an oil drum.

http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Men-Essentials-Protective-Spectrum/dp/B001FB5ILE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-3&keywords=nivea+mens+face

http://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Paris-Advanced-Suncare-Sunscreen/dp/B00GX9VNNU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408373940&sr=8-1&keywords=L%27OR%C3%89AL+PARIS+QUICK+DRY+SHEER+FINISH+SPRAY+50%2B

A good hat.  Note that there are no good quality functional hats that don't look a bit dopey.  Shrug.  Too bad, cover up and stay cool.

I use the Nivea stuff year round.  A tube lasts about 3-4 months.

Trekking poles are pretty awesome.  Especially if you have venomous snakes in your area.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »
Third for Jenn.  I wear hiking boots if the weather requires it but I generally go out in an older pair of trail running shoe. Solid, broken in, not quite good enough I run in anymore. I wear Saucony's now, but I've had a lot of success with New Balance too. Once upon a time I wore Nike's.  I wear Merrels as my work shoe. They're fantastic.

In terms of other gear - I take an old LL Bean day pack or my newer/nicer "everyday" north face backpack. I also take a 1 liter water bottle (can't remember the brand).  My phone and camera with a backup battery for the phone (I like taking pictures), OFF, and clothing dependent on the weather.  Also often a book because I like sitting and reading for a half hour at the back end of a hike. :-)
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
basic hiking gear
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:33:46 AM »
Oh! Micah - I had a thought, sounds like you're talking about more urban hiking/walking.  I do that a lot too...mostly after my runs...here's my "load out" minus the more run-centric gear:

1.  Good running shoes. If you go to a local run shop they will put you on a treadmill and help you understand your stride and how much support you need.  They'll do it if you're just a walker too.  They're usually super friendly and happy to help - also extremely happy to teach. I went into them knowing nothing and they've taught me a lot about what kind of shoe I need and when I need it.

2.  My fit bit

3. Phone with good audiobook or podcast (and potentially runkeeper for tracking my walk/hike)

4. Handheld water bottle like this one: http://shop.camelbak.com/quick-grip/d/1001
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:08:16 AM by kermi3 »
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »
For sure on the podcast!!!!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »
Why would you want to ruin your nature experience by listening to podcasts?  Nature is far more interesting.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »
Sometimes I do sometimes not...

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 12:03:14 PM »
It's already been said but I prefer trail runners for most day hikes, except where there's deep mud, snow, or huge boulder fields. Actually I just got a pair of Teva sandals that worked well for a few miles of hiking, including some awful scree slopes and a bit of hard 4th class scrambling. Of course, it helps to wear socks with sandals

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 12:12:42 PM »
Of course, it helps to wear socks with sandals

Which is a mortal sin

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »
Yea, sometimes I enjoy my audiobook in nature.  Sometimes I like going without it.