Author Topic: First Kitchen Knife Sharpening  (Read 2846 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
First Kitchen Knife Sharpening
« on: November 27, 2016, 06:03:09 PM »
So I took my first attempt at sharpening my OXO Pro knives today. I have a couple of Shun ones that will need to eventually be done but didn't want to mess those up so I thought practicing on the cheaper knives a bit early will help when it comes time to do touch ups later.

I have a set of diamond stones for my hand tools but after watching quite a few videos I decided to get a combination whetstone 1k/6k since it seems "feel" is a big part of sharpening kitchen knives. I went with the cheaper King KW-65 stone ($25 or so on amazon) and gave that a shot today. I probably should have gone with the KDS but didn't know the difference at the time. I have 6.5" and 4.5" Santokus that I've had for a bit and while they were sharp enough I figured I'd try and get them a bit sharper if I could.

It's a bit trickier than I thought it would be. I didn't find it hard to do the sharpening, the stone worked OK for the most part. The 1K side builds up slurry pretty quick and seem to build a burr pretty quickly, the 6K side seemed to build up a bit quickly though so I'll probably get a nagura stone or something. The 6K did put a decent polish on the edge though. The 1K side was pretty flat out of the box but the 6K side needed a bit more work to start with. I used my X-Coarse DMT plate to flatten both sided before I started. I do need to work a bit on my technique though and I'm still trying to figure out if I prefer Japanese vs Western style. I think I'm preferring the Western style as I find it a bit easier to maintain my angle even though it seems a bit slower.

Finding the right angle seemed to be my biggest difficulty. I guessed at the right height but turned out to be quite low at around 10-12 degrees I figure. I adjusted a bit and I think I'm closer to about 13-15 deg now but I think that's still a bit steeper than whatever was originally on there since the edge is a bit wider, and probably was sharper than I need to go with these blades. We'll see if they can maintain the edge after some use.

I went on Google to figure out some angles and I'm actually kind of surprised just how high you can angle the blade and still get a fairly low edge angle. I probably should have done that before hand and made a coin stack or something but I thought I could get away just by feel, I was wrong. I used a marker to make my adjustments to get the desired width after my initial failure.

I'm glad I practiced first though and I'm sure it'll take a bit longer before I feel like attempting it with my "nicer" knives. I did a comparison against my wife's knife and mine and it's definitely sharper. She's told me to stay away from her knives since the really sharp knives scare her for some reason.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: First Kitchen Knife Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:57:57 AM »
It takes time and practice alright!  I typically aim for just under 19 degrees.  Don't be afraid to go slow and be sure to use plenty of force.  I keep running water on my stones during use.  Set the geometry with your rough stone and the rest is essentially polishing.  How do you gauge your angle?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 12:33:29 PM »
At first I tried the angle your blade until it bites and then back off method but that's what left me much too severe of an angle. I was a bit hesitant on the "bite" part. Then I used marker on the edge and lifted a bit and watched the wear. I think that got me a bit closer but I'm still pretty sure I'm too low after comparing it to other edge widths. Then I went to Google and did the math and went back to the knives to feel about where I was and realized I was indeed quite a bit lower. I plan on making a couple angle jigs just to be able to get a better idea of where I should be for the different angles.

I picked up a cheap Wasabi Black Santoku that I'm going to probably play around with and also look into getting a different polishing stone for more regular maintenance. I'm thinking of maybe some splash and go 5K one for weekly/monthly touch ups.

I never really used to be a big knife kind of person but after I bought and used my Shun for the first time, how nice it felt to use and easily it cut through stuff, I'm totally hooked now. I actually kind of enjoy prep work now.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 05:59:19 PM »
I think I posted this before and you may already be using the advice within. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFhMGJYhYpU&ab_channel=SurLaTableCorp

I use this method.