Author Topic: Modern Military Shooters in a nutshell  (Read 7412 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Modern Military Shooters in a nutshell
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
That is why I never play single player/campaign mode. I think the last one I played through was return to castle wolfenstein...
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »
Half life had a decent story mode from what I recall.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »
The original CODs were great cause they let you do anything....same with Far Cry...Yea - Half Life was great....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:17:47 AM »
That guy is a douche.  There is a point to the single player portion.  They build a half-ass set of worlds and objectives and the ONLY purpose in playing it is to get used to the worlds, the weapons, and the vehicles.  That is the ONLY purpose.  Beyond that, no one gives a shit about it.  Everyone is WELL aware of the restrictions of single player/campaigns in modern FPS.  To expect more is just pointless.  The only thing they care about is multi-player but everyone bitches when a company even mentions releasing a game that is multi-player only. 

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:39:25 AM »
Except past FPS had rich, expansive, and non-two-feet-linear single player modes.  I don't play many FPS (not my thing) but the ones I did play I played in single player way more than multi-player.  I can't tell you how many hours I spent in Rainbow Six.  The guy did point out that the developers aren't the sole cause.  If people demanded more and didn't buy the crap that was put out then the games would get better.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:53:14 AM »
The last R6 I played had to be a good 10 years ago or so, but if I remember correctly those were very linear as well.. :dunno:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:20:17 AM by KnuckleBuckett »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »
The last R6 I played had to be a good 10 years ago or so, but if I remember correctly those were very linear as well.. :dunno:
The campaign as a whole was linear but the individual missions were pretty open.  You had a map and an objective but how you did it and where you went was open.

Another good one:  Hitman.  I remember circling an entire base picking people off before entering the compound itself.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
Fallout....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »
The campaign as a whole was linear but the individual missions were pretty open.  You had a map and an objective but how you did it and where you went was open.

Another good one:  Hitman.  I remember circling an entire base picking people off before entering the compound itself.
Loved Hitman... but I don't think that even had a MP portion.  Let's not confuse the two.

In my opinion, these newer FPS games are designed to be MP, so don't bitch about the shitty SP.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 01:00:21 PM »

Loved Hitman... but I don't think that even had a MP portion.  Let's not confuse the two.
TBH I don't recall.  You very well could be right.

In my opinion, these newer FPS games are designed to be MP, so don't bitch about the shitty SP.
Which is part of the bitch/complaint.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
How can you bitch about something that was never intended to meet your expectations?  Go find an FPS that IS intended to fill the SP role!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
How can you bitch about something that was never intended to meet your expectations?  Go find an FPS that IS intended to fill the SP role!
FPSs used to do it, then it shifted to the MMS with crappy single player.  People eat up the shit so the game companies make more of them and less of the FPSs with decent single player.  That's the bitch/rant.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
The desires of the average user changed.  You're bitching about a business decision.  Get over it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »
The average users (hell with MMSs I'd say more than average) are idiots