Author Topic: Buying a 360  (Read 7382 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Buying a 360
« on: November 20, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »
I just got a fat 3Q bonus from work, and I've decided to buy a 360.  I've recently realized that there are different systems - what's the difference and what should I be looking for in it?  I don't know that I'll be getting XBL, since I had it with my vanilla XBox and I used it like 3 times.  Does it come with cables to hook it up to an HDTV?  I'm getting one of those in a couple days too.

What are the "must have" games for now?  I know Bioshock, but that's about it.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Buying a 360
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 10:24:32 AM »
the cheapest system doesn't have a hard drive (which you need) or HDTV cables and only comes with one controller (which I don't think is even wireless)

just make sure you read the box so you know what comes in it.

the HDTV cables are sold separately but some systems come with them (so it may be cheaper to buy a less expensive system and then buy the cables later)

Games:  Madden 08, EA Sport NHL 08, Halo3, Call of Duty4
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 10:30:25 AM »
Is there anything better about Halo 3 than the other two, besides graphics?  Because honestly I think the other 2 were mediocre (at best) FPSs that would have been totally ignored if they had come to PC first.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 10:30:33 AM »
ethic i still love you baby

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:39:28 AM »
> Get a Wii instead.

I had a Wii before you did douchebag

You're a late adopter.  I waited in the COLD for it.  You can't just swoop in and declare yourself Wii Jesus when you didn't suffer for it like I did

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:52:35 AM »
Why X-Box over the seemingly vastly superior PS3?

Price?
Game selection?

I have seen both and played PS3.  PS3 seemed to me to have it all over X-Box.

Just wondering.     :dunno:

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »
> vastly superior PS3?

How?  I've heard nothing but bad things about the PS3.  The 360 has more, better games and is more stable in general.  Not to mention it's a damn sight cheaper.

The only people I know who bought PS3s bought them at launch to resell on ebay.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 11:35:18 AM »
Is there anything better about Halo 3 than the other two, besides graphics?  Because honestly I think the other 2 were mediocre (at best) FPSs that would have been totally ignored if they had come to PC first.

no not really, if you didn't like the first two, then you wont care all that much for Halo 3.  The graphics are pretty though :-)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 12:14:59 PM »
Get Forza 2 if you're into motosport sims.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 12:19:25 PM »
> vastly superior PS3?

How?  I've heard nothing but bad things about the PS3.  The 360 has more, better games and is more stable in general.  Not to mention it's a damn sight cheaper.

The only people I know who bought PS3s bought them at launch to resell on ebay.

I have seen and read pretty much the opposite.  Again. I have no use for either (don't like controllers), I was just curious.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 12:42:35 PM »
What "must buy" games are out there for the PS3 that aren't on the 360?  Also, the sales statistics seem pretty telling.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 12:50:01 PM »
>> I have no use for either (don't like controllers)

I'm finding that I like controllers less and less. I'm horrible at most games on consoles, mostly FPS'. Racing games are a pain in the ass on a keyboard though.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 01:09:38 PM »
>  Microsoft extended theirs for 3 years
because chances are your 360 will melt.

Hardware failures are a fact of life - you'd know that if you had been an early Wii adopter too

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 02:45:47 PM »
Even the newest X-Boxes (360) have a pretty nasty failure rate.  I didn't realize how bad they were until checking into it today.  Yikes!

Seems more than a few X-Box folk are resorting to owning two.  One is simply to use while the other is in for repair.  That seems kind of awful.

PS3 is not failure free but nothing major in that area is or has gone on so far.

My PS3 experience is pretty limited but...
I have fooled with Heavenly Sword, COD4, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (meh), Oblivion, Metal Gear, Motorstorm (wow), Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, and Warhawk.  Maybe a couple others.  Didn't spent much time with any one title, but was always impressed with the quality of both the games and gameplay.

On X-Box360 I have only played Halo 3, Oblivion, and Gears of War.  All at stores and very limited play time.  Halo and Gears played well.  Gears looked good.  Halo looked kind of cheap pretty much just like Halo (maybe it is supposed to?).  Oblivion was nowhere near as nice as the PC version and load times were totally unacceptable.  All in all not a bad machine for the price, but I had a better gaming experience on the PS3.

Again however very different environments, and very different time spent.

I think the prices are getting closer aren't they?   :dunno:

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 03:05:39 PM »
> Even the newest X-Boxes (360) have a pretty nasty failure rate.  I didn't realize how bad they were until checking into it today.  Yikes!

What is it for the new ones? The new processors have only been around a little while (septemberish?), so I'd be a little wary of the failure rate numbers so far.

> COD4, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (meh), Oblivion

Those are all on other platforms.  Resistance looks ok.  Is Motorstorm that one that shipped on launch?  That was ok in the store.  Ratchet and Clank, meh.  I don't know about the other two.

> I think the prices are getting closer aren't they?

I think they're still like $100 for comparable models