Author Topic: Nice marketing Playstation  (Read 8229 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Nice marketing Playstation
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »
Yeah... I guess.  I'm just so used to the keyboard/mouse combo, even for things like Madden.  Hell, the only thing I wasn't able to do in MLB2K10 was throw a few pitches.

And actually, pitching was somewhat easier with the keyboard.  With the controller, you have to hold the location of the pitch and then make the pitch.  With the keyboard, you moved the location of the pitch and it stayed there and then you pitched.  I dunno.  I'm digging it either way.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
What level do you play on?  I just started a Franchise on Pro level and I'm going through spring training and all the games are like 2-1, 1-0... and I get maybe 5-7 hits per game.  I'm constantly hitting grounders.  I wonder if I can even switch to Rookie level at this point?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 10:24:04 AM »
I usually play at Pro.  Once you get the timing down, you'll start having higher scoring games.  Playing at rookie sucks because every game ends up like 23-0

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 09:29:53 PM »
I wondered about that.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »
Do you use the directional hitting at all or do you just swing away?  And do you lean back before you swing?

I switched to Rookie and I pitched a shutout with 11 K's and scored 9 runs... with 2 HRs.  I mean my pitching is normally about the same.. but the hitting was off the charts on Rookie mode.

I need to figure out stealing and all of that too.  My base running skills suck balls.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »
Baserunning in the game sucks, I still haven't figured it out.  I've used directional hitting a little, but not too much.  And I pull the stick back on every swing unless there's two strikes or i just want a slap hit or something.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »
I just read the manual and baserunning might not be so bad now.  Interesting... i think I've only ever pulled back a handful of times.  According to the manual, that's how you do power hitting... which makes sense since I rarely get a powerful hit otherwise.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »
I picked it up again this weekend with my SS, Abner Abernathy, who is in Pittsburgh's system.  I'm getting better about strikeouts, but I did have a stretch where I had 6 consecutive Ks.  I'm basically the definition of a "three true outcomes" guy.  It seems like every PA is a walk, dinger, or K.

I still can't do shit on the basepaths - I get doubled up all the time on goofy plays and basically the only time I get baserunning points is if I hit a homer, since I rarely score otherwise.  I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on my team hitting above .250

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 10:38:38 AM »
Well I switched to Rookie mode because I was tired of the 1-0 games and getting like 2 hits per game.  Things didn't seem drastically different in pre-season, but last night I made the jump to the regular season and won 9-0 with 28 f-ing hits.  It seems so inconsistent.  I'd have 3 straight hits and then strike out to end the side.  Or I'd load the bases on 3 straight hits and then hit 3 fly balls.

Things pissing me off:

1) Power-hitting sucks shit - power-hitting swings are extremely slow and hard to time and I don't think the hits I get as a result of that are any better than when I don't do that.
2) Stealing - WTF?  I cannot figure out how to make someone steal.  90% of the time the runner just won't go... the other 10%, he goes before the pitch is made and I end up in a pickle.  I also got picked off at second last night.. and I was barely leading off.

I think I've only hit 3 HR in like 15 games.  Either I don't know how to hit them or the PC version just sucks.

Overall, I fucking love the game and the controls are amazing.

Also, do you know how to turn on the hitting zones?  I played a "freeplay" game or whatever and it was turned on, but in my season it isn't.  And do you know how to take more control over the outfielders?  They seem to do their own thing and I don't really have control over them as far as catching fly balls.  They just do it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
See... now I said that and I played a game last night where I hit 3 HR in the first 4 innings of a game... 2 back to back solo shots.  WTF

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »
Woohoo, Abner Abernathy just got called up to the big leagues after tearing up AA San Antonio (which is apparently San Diego's AA affiliate, not Pittsburgh's).  It's cheesy, but I was pretty psyched to get my first AB in Petco, which was against Dan Haren.  The whole game just feels so much bigger and more alive when you're in a big league park instead of the rinky-dink minor league stadiums.  It's also crazy how much more movement a pitcher like Haren has compared to the scrubs in AA.  I was regularly seeing guys down there with sliders that barely moved at all or guys with fastballs that topped out at 82.  Between the distractions of being in a big park and the improved pitching, I ended up 0-3 :(

Have you messed with My Player mode at all?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2010, 09:33:03 AM »
Nope... there's so much stuff I haven't even looked at.  The only thing I've done are the drills, and then I started a preseason, played about 10 games and then jumped to the regular season.  I'm 4-1 in the regular season so far and I'm playing as the White Sox.  I've always liked them for some reason and I didn't feel like playing as the Indians.  I play the Tigers next in the season. 

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
You should at least give My Player a try, it's my favorite mode.  Playing as a pitcher is the best, but I'm having fun as a position player, too.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 02:13:34 PM »
So what's the deal... you start in the minor's and try to get to the majors?  I like to pitch and hit though... and if you play as a position player... do you play entire games?  What if you are a RF?  Do you just stand in the outfield until something happens?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »
In order: Yes, no, it sims to the point where a play involves you.  You're not just watching the whole game or anything boring like that.  You can play a game as a position player in about 10 minutes.  Pitching takes longer (obviously) but it's more fun and easier to get called up to the bigs.

Abner hit a 2 run bomb off some scrub in Atlanta's bullpen and I stood up in triumph.  My wife just shook her head.