Author Topic: Thinking about a new camera  (Read 6612 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Thinking about a new camera
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 05:26:18 PM »
Oh and I setup a Flickr account finally so you can peruse some of my Maggie pictures and view the lens info etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hansandsina
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »
want
to
pet

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 11:03:57 PM »
So I am liking this camera more and more! TGM did you check out the apps available for it? I just got star trails, time lapse, and angle shift. Sure you can do a lot of this yourself with expensive equipment and time consuming post production, this just makes it hella easier! I also want to pick up the stop motion one so the kids and I can make lego movies! yea!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 12:52:13 AM »
I haven't done any apps yet but have thought about the time lapse one. I didn't know about the stop motion, that'd be cool. It really is pretty amazing value for the money. For a general lens, I'm really liking my SEL28f20, it has a nice field of view for general purpose shots and is pretty quick for low light and bokeh. The one I usually have on it is the 16-70 F4 Zeiss though. It wide enough and has enough zoom for most stuff and feels good on the body. The only downside is it's not as great in low light, but Sony generally seem to be on an F4 kick for these things.

I've been thinking about getting the Rokinon 21mm F1.4 lens that recently got released but I think I've spent enough on lenses for now. I did get an adapter and rock my dad's old Minolta rokkor 50mm. It's a great lens with the camera and has a nice feel to the pictures, perhaps just a bit of haze or blur or something but very pleasing.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 10:00:08 AM »
I haven't done any apps yet but have thought about the time lapse one. I didn't know about the stop motion, that'd be cool. It really is pretty amazing value for the money. For a general lens, I'm really liking my SEL28f20, it has a nice field of view for general purpose shots and is pretty quick for low light and bokeh. The one I usually have on it is the 16-70 F4 Zeiss though. It wide enough and has enough zoom for most stuff and feels good on the body. The only downside is it's not as great in low light, but Sony generally seem to be on an F4 kick for these things.

I've been thinking about getting the Rokinon 21mm F1.4 lens that recently got released but I think I've spent enough on lenses for now. I did get an adapter and rock my dad's old Minolta rokkor 50mm. It's a great lens with the camera and has a nice feel to the pictures, perhaps just a bit of haze or blur or something but very pleasing.

I think I will stick with the kit lenses for the time being and learn to use those first before upgrading. Did you get any filters for the stock lenses?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
I only have the 16-50 kit lens but didn't get any filter for it. I don't really use it much now that I have the other lenses. I'll probably keep it though for vacations and such since it's not a bad lens. Generally I'm pretty gentle with my stuff but I did get a couple B+W clear filters (xs-pro w/nano ones) for the other lenses just for protecting them maybe. I have one on my 50mm now but haven't really had a chance to test out if it really makes much of a difference. I'm still a bit of a rookie in this stuff so I don't know what to look for or shoot to try things out. I don't really notice much of a difference.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 11:00:39 PM »
my biggest gripe so far: battery life sucks!

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 12:22:16 AM »
I got some wasabi power replacement batteries that are a bit higher output but ya it chews through batteries pretty quickly.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 08:04:44 AM »
I got some wasabi power replacement batteries that are a bit higher output but ya it chews through batteries pretty quickly.

Just ordered those yesterday :)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »
hey tgm, here is the star trails app in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho7p6c3NtcQ&feature=youtu.be&t=15m54s

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 09:51:45 PM »
That's pretty cool.

FYI, I just updated the remote app which is supposed to help increase battery when turned off. We'll see if it makes any difference.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 10:08:59 PM »
I ran my camera on "airplane" mode all the time...it helped a little. BTW those wasabi batteries suck.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 10:40:53 PM »
I had better luck with them than the stock Sony ones. Maybe about 10-15% more? The camera seems to just be power hungry.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 10:01:15 AM »
I had better luck with them than the stock Sony ones. Maybe about 10-15% more? The camera seems to just be power hungry.

I got two wasabi, and tried one so far. Fresh out of the charger, lasted only about half as long. It might have been because of the cold weather (but it wasn't that cold) but I left the camera in the garage and it was at about 60%, was gone for an hour and a half, and the battery was dead when I came back.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 02:02:46 PM »
Well early signs point to updating the app as helping with battery life while not in use. In use still drains like 1% per shot but the batteries have held charge better after being updated. I've got a baptism this weekend I'm planning on bringing the camera to so I'll get some more info after that.