Author Topic: MP3 player?  (Read 3238 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
MP3 player?
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »
My wife has been using her phone (Droid Eris) as an MP3 player but it's kind of shitty.  She wants a small MP3 player to use while jogging (strapped to her arm) and I was going to get her an iPod Nano, but she doesn't want to spend ~$100.  That's what the current 5th generation ones are running.  Does anyone have a better suggestion?  She wants to be able to control the playlist, and have different playlists to choose from, so the Shuffle is out.  I'm not stuck on Apple products, so please suggest away.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: MP3 player?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »
I have a Sansa Clip, it's awesome. Highly recommended.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:25:26 AM »
How are the headphones that come with it?  Would they stay in while running?  How is the sound quality?

And what do you use to transfer music onto it?  Can you just connect it via USB and transfer like a folder?  And can you do playlists?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »
used nano. I mean really, the $100 is worth it. Quality, ton of features, very durable, blah blah. I'd rather spend the $100 then go cheap. What are you going to save, $50? Fuck it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »
Had a Sansa.  I gave it away.

Nano all the way.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:11:26 PM »
I bought the 16Gb nano last week. really like it!  it has a built in FM radio too.   there like $20 or $30 cheaper if you buy them at walmart.com (with free ship-to-store)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »
She only needs an 8Gb one.  And I can find them cheaper on Ebay than I can at Walmart.

Anyone else?  I'm leaning towards the Nano I guess... ?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »
Really there is no reason not too
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
Craigslist rocks for that kind of thing.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:18:19 PM »
How are the headphones that come with it?  Would they stay in while running?  How is the sound quality?

And what do you use to transfer music onto it?  Can you just connect it via USB and transfer like a folder?  And can you do playlists?

The headphones are the best earbuds I've ever used, way better than the apple ones. I was really impressed when I first got them. It also has a programmable 5-band equalizer with a bunch of presets, great sound quality.  It mounts as external storage, you just transfer files to the music folder like a usb stick.

fwiw: I used to have a nano too, I liked it but was always afraid of scratching or wrecking it. The thing I love about the sansa is I can just put it in my pocket and forget about it. It has an FM tuner as well which is nice.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 07:46:50 AM »
Does she like it?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »
Yes and no.  I think most of the "no" reasons are due to lack of understanding.  She tends to lean on me for the "read the manual and show me how to use it when it comes to technology" type of stuff.  I think once she figures out a few little quirky things, she'll really like it.

Another problem we have is that a lot of our music is titled like this: Artist - track number - song title.  And this is my bitch about my iPhone's player as well... and maybe I shouldn't bitch about the player as much as I should bitch about the management of my own music files, but it is nice to keep the artist in the title of the file if that file gets moved and you're looking at it outside of a music player that reads the ID3 tags.  But in the music player, when scanning through a playlist it is difficult to see what the name of the song is because the screen is only big enough to show the artist name since the artist name comes first.

I guess what I should do is rename all my MP3s so that the artist name is last, but that's a massive pain in the ass.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 09:47:14 AM »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 09:58:18 AM »