Author Topic: git diff master..microsoft  (Read 6357 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
git diff master..microsoft
« on: June 04, 2018, 10:53:28 PM »
Seems to be a rift on twitter between people who think this is the best thing ever and people who think it is the worst thing ever.  I'm kinda in the middle... like it doesn't seem like I need to care  :dunno:

https://news.microsoft.com/2018/06/04/microsoft-to-acquire-github-for-7-5-billion/

Thoughts?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: git diff master..microsoft
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:54:15 PM »
I'm not excited about it for sure.  I'm worried about the direction it'll go.  That said, I'm not going to go running around like it is the end of the world.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
I've never really used github.  I didn't like the fact that it was uber popular.  Those things rarely work out.  That's why I've stuck with BitBucket.  So Github can go to complete shit as far as I am concerned and it won't impact me.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »
I moved most of my stuff over to Gitlab a while ago since they seem to be actively innovating, but in general I don't quite understand all the drama. Github will continue to be what it is for a while and I don't think modern Microsoft is going to try and destroy it. There may be a few companies that feel the need to move off for competition reasons or whatever but I think most of it still comes from "Microsoft is evil". As much as I still don't care about Microsoft, they are doing some pretty cool stuff lately and I think this just continues their push to be relevant in the development space again. I know a lot of developers that now use VSCode as their main editor and the ones that have recent laptops with the Linux kernel are quite happy again.

And Git is supposed to be a distributed version control, so having a centralized place that everyone goes to is silly in a way anyways. But that's another conversation.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 04:24:55 PM »
We had a client at my last job who didn't want anything to open source, ever.  They didn't like that we were going to use git because of that fact.  This was around the time that MS opensourced .NET core and we broke the news to them :D

Microsoft has their own git-based repository system that worked pretty well when I used it.  They've been doing a lot of great stuff in the opensource space.

I'm using visual studio code now which is probably the best IDE i've ever used.  Also, trying to get up to speed on TypeScript for better JavaScripting (I'm learning that I have a LOT to learn)

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 05:18:33 PM »
I'm using visual studio code now which is probably the best IDE i've ever used.  Also, trying to get up to speed on TypeScript for better JavaScripting (I'm learning that I have a LOT to learn)

Come to the vim dark side micah....

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 07:13:13 PM »
All hail vim!

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »
no thanks.  I like command line for git, npm and some basic file structure navigation but I could never program without a legit GUI

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:34:37 AM »
I primarily use emacs but I've used Visual Studio Code for golang, it is actually really nice.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 09:18:33 PM »
From the two minutes Ive spent struggling with vim I really dont understand how people use it for anything, let alone coding.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 10:55:20 PM »
Not to continue derailing this thread, but I learned it years ago when I did more sys admin work on remote servers that didn't have IDEs or UIs for editors. It was vim or nano and vim seemed a bit better. It definitely takes some time to get used to be once you're proficient with it, it's incredibly powerful. Downside is everyone typically customizes it to their liking so when you try and use it on someone else's workstation it's not always going to be what you know, but most of the basics will still work. I try to keep mine minimal so I don't have to rely on a large set of plugins.

Recently though I learned about Ed and that's pretty hard core.

CLI tools vs GUI tools are always big debates on our company Slack.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 08:26:12 AM »
One of my developers where I work exclusively uses vim.  I use it when I shell into a server and have to edit a config file or even tweak other files but there is no way I would use it to code.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
My team is split between emacs and vim. I use emacs, never could get used to vim.