Author Topic: Battlefield 3 Alpha  (Read 3028 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Battlefield 3 Alpha
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »
Played it this weekend.

I put maybe six hours into it this weekend.

Meh.  Nothing amazing.  Graphics were fine but not what I was expecting.  Both the graphics and gameplay seemed to be better than Bad Company 2. 

The alpha (at least) had no Commander option.  Classes were different than BF2 and the guns didn't seem to be as connected to the gaming experience as BF2.  Lots of insta-kills though knife kills are slower than say, COD.  Machine gun kills halfway across a map were common.  Smaller issues were things like having trouble getting over curbs, walking through chunks of concrete and branches, getting stuck on pebbles, confused maps, invisible walls (probably an alpha thing?), and way too much in the way of smoke, drifting paper, dust, leaves, etc.  It was neat but after the initial cool factor wore off it was just annoying.  In general the whole experience felt like you were playing a game not like you were in the game. 

As it is, and I am sure it is far from finished, it didn't feel like much of a successor to BF2.

The Origin interface was a mixture between a browser window and their installed interface.  If this interface is the only option for playing BF3, there is no way I would purchase the game. 

I think they intend on forcing Origin on all future EA game customers.  No thanks.  I can live without EA and Origin.  With the possible exception of ME3.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Battlefield 3 Alpha
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the update.  How did you get access to the Alpha?

I still really like BFBC2.  My only gripe is a few small inconsistencies that seem to creep up.  Like I'll empty a half clip into someone that should have taken their head off but they will still turn around and blow me a way.  And I get the slugs vs. buckshot difference in the shotguns, but you really shouldn't be able pick someone off on the other side of the map with a shotgun.  It's pretty hard to take someone out with a machine gun from distance.

Overall, I think Bad Company 2 is an upgrade from BF2 in a lot of ways and I was hoping BF3 would take the best of both of these games and merge them into something awesome.  Hopefully the beta gets better.  I'll definitely play the demo before buying it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
I was invited to the alpha.  Had something to do with hours played, commander time, and other stuff.  Er..so I hear.  Could have been random...

If you like BC2 this is better.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:51:46 PM »
No.  Tanks and APCs.

Alpha is over.  Origin uninstalled.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »
I have... the weirdest boner right now.

/meme

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »
*grabs controller to play Halo Reach*
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »
I have... the weirdest boner right now.

/meme
I have a regular boner, it's just bigger than normal

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »
Did anyone get this?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
Battlefield 3 Alpha
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 09:42:22 PM »
I'm gonna wait until they release the first patch (you know it will be coming soon)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 10:23:50 AM »
I haven't played games in a while - but if I did, this looks fucking incredible. Hot.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
I got it. Haven't played a ton but pretty fun so far. I only have a couple complaints so far. First, the sniper you start with takes 3 shots to kill anyone, even if you get a headshot (but whatever, they designed it so you have to play a bunch to get good weapons). Also, the flashlight looks super fake when someone shines it at you from a distance.

I haven't seen any major bugs except some guy sniping with half his body sticking through a shipping container