Author Topic: Google News  (Read 4696 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Google News
« on: April 24, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/google/google-drive-gets-official-5gb-of-free-storage-or-100gb-for-4-99month/

I use the Dropbox often.  I wonder how similar they are?  I may switch.

Anyone else use cloud storage for personal stuff?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Google News
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »
I've been looking to use CrashPlan lately but haven't signed up yet. I use Ubuntu One a little bit. I'll sign up for the GDrive though. I'm a Google addict.
This signature intentionally left blank.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »
I used Dropbox to work on my thesis across computers. Also use it to share files for church. We just paid to increase that storage capacity and have a lot of things set up, but we all use Gmail anyway. And in terms of monthly storage, Drive looks like a cheaper option.

I already pay $5/year for 20gb of google storage though. I wonder if I can grandfather that into Drive without having to change to a $2.50/month plan. (edit: answer is no)

(edit2: I currently have 25gb of space, so I guess it actually is grandfathered)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:29:46 PM by jkim »

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »
 I use dropbox constantly.  Incredibly useful for work, but unfortunately, I can't put confidential info on there...pain in the....I'll checkout GDrive and SkyDrive....I don't trust any of them with my data though - too vulnerable to supena.  I'm waiting for the first service that is both easy to use and HIPPA compliant...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:22:12 AM »
I'm sticking with DB for now.  I would not be surprised at all to see DB respond and increase their free account to avoid massive loss of users.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »
I'm sticking with DB for now.  I would not be surprised at all to see DB respond and increase their free account to avoid massive loss of users.

Curious.  Why?  Features?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
Features, not having to migrate, not having to piss off the wife by introducing something different. 

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »
I use dropbox constantly.  Incredibly useful for work, but unfortunately, I can't put confidential info on there...pain in the....I'll checkout GDrive and SkyDrive....I don't trust any of them with my data though - too vulnerable to supena.  I'm waiting for the first service that is both easy to use and HIPPA compliant...

The problem is there is nothing to be HIPPA Compliant with. HIPPA does not contain any kind of regulations that apply to or cover backup applications, online storage, or disaster recovery. So it is impossible for any service or application to get HIPPA certified, ergo it is impossible to have one of these services that is void of the duty to comply with a subpoena.

You also have to watch because some services claim to be "Compliant with HIPPA Policy". All this means is that they comply within their facility with the regulations in place for physical medical records. IE locked areas, security systems, data encryption, etc. So yea they take steps similar to that of Hospital Records Department's but in no way are they considered HIPPA Compliant or treated under the HIPPA act. It's like being an automotive painter in a garage and saying "I follow licensing regulations" and being a pro who says "I am a licensed painter".
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »

The problem is there is nothing to be HIPPA Compliant with. HIPPA does not contain any kind of regulations that apply to or cover backup applications, online storage, or disaster recovery. So it is impossible for any service or application to get HIPPA certified, ergo it is impossible to have one of these services that is void of the duty to comply with a subpoena.

You also have to watch because some services claim to be "Compliant with HIPPA Policy". All this means is that they comply within their facility with the regulations in place for physical medical records. IE locked areas, security systems, data encryption, etc. So yea they take steps similar to that of Hospital Records Department's but in no way are they considered HIPPA Compliant or treated under the HIPPA act. It's like being an automotive painter in a garage and saying "I follow licensing regulations" and being a pro who says "I am a licensed painter".
This is incorrect.  The company I work for MUST be HIPPA compliant and we are.  Otherwise we would not be in business.  Any medical application must have HIPPA Compliance.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:45 PM »
Medical application yes. I didn't say there were no software provisions, just none to certify regarding backup applications, data recovery, and online storage. Unless something changed in the past two years.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
I work at a health care company and we needed to drop box.net for compliance reasons (and we had problems with files being 'eaten'). Currently we're rolling with Egnyte (which I used at a previous company).

http://www.egnyte.com/corp/hipaa_agmt_policy.html
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
There ya go Dro.  All set!!
Nice.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »
I work at a health care company and we needed to drop box.net for compliance reasons (and we had problems with files being 'eaten'). Currently we're rolling with Egnyte (which I used at a previous company).

http://www.egnyte.com/corp/hipaa_agmt_policy.html

SWEET! I'm forwarding this to my old boss right now.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »
I already tried GD.  I will fool with it a few months.  Maybe I will switch.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge