Author Topic: Dragon Naturally Speaking  (Read 4509 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Dragon Naturally Speaking
« on: September 27, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »
I'm sure we've discussed it before, btu does anyone use it?  The new version came out, and I'm seriously considering using my summer thank you gift for volunteering to get it.  With the ADHD, sometimes typing stops me from doing writing things (the bit of effort of typing or the slow speed gets in the way.  I think I'd use it personally, but I'm not sure how tough it would be to get it accustom to doing the custom report writing I do...I know some people do it...even for things as complex as coding....

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/99-professional/6263-code-by-voice-faster-than-keyboard.html  (X-post this in your mind to Beta's surgery thread)

Any thoughts?  I've tried it before but it was too clunky, but as I dictate to my phone more and more...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 09:38:57 PM »
Never used it.  I would have a hard time talking what I need written.  Like how do you go back if you said something wrong?  Hold down the backspace key?  What about changing a few sentences later?
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
Had a conversation with a couple of interns a year or so ago.  They had been trying to use it for Uni. and were dissapointed in the results.  Sounded like it had come quite away, however using it, you have to be fairly precise, take your time, and when your pronunciation changes it gets confused (when you are tired, sick, etc).

My physical therapist and his clinic also used it for a year.  He told me they had abandoned it because it was far more trouble than it was worth.  Constant issues of all kinds.  Misspellings, hangups, lockups, the list went on.  It was clear no one in that office wanted to see it again anytime soon.

I would love to fool with it and see how well it works these days.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
Beta - checkout the video in the link I posted.

Thanks Knuck, that was my experience a few years ago too, but it's so tempting as I have to write more and more...it's this or new workout earphones....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 03:57:38 PM »
I bought it… Haven't gotten to play a lot with it, but so far I'm extremely impressed with out-of-the-box recognition.

It won't let me write easily in the box, but works really well worth.  I have a lot of optimization to do to make it really useful to me.  But I see how it could be realy really great.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »
I give it three months.  :)
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 03:33:53 PM »
I used it very successfully to make notes for my defense powerpoint.  The real test will come once I start writing longer reports on students at work.  If I'm able to integrate it into that workflow, then it will become a permanent fixture.  If I'm not....well then - it was a gift certificate I never expected to get anyway....

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »
I guess my problem with most of these things are that I'm rarely typing in a place that I'm free to speak out loud.  Most of the time I don't want to say the things I'm typing.  Same with the fucking customer service stuff.  I HATE when they don't give me things I can type in.  Maybe I don't want my co-workers to hear my personal shit!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »
For corrections please say "Giant hairy donkey balls"!

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
LOL. Most of my longform typing it done in my office, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I could see how be tough if you're working I'm more open space, but one of the benefits of working with peoples emotions is you tend  to get a private office