Author Topic: Windows Media Center sucks...  (Read 2326 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Windows Media Center sucks...
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:59:02 AM »
...down hard-drive memory like a mo'fo.

I recently tried to defrag my PC (running windows xp media center) and was promptly prompted that I couldn't because I only have 1% of my 250GB hard drive free.

It took me a while to think of what I had on my hard drive that was taking up that much space. I only have a few hundred MP3 and I don't download movies.  Eventually it dawned on me to see if the few television shows I'd recorded in Media Center were using much memory.  I rarely us MC, especially since we got digital-hi-def cable with a DVR a year ago.  So I opened the "recorded shows" section and saw that I had 67 programs recorded! Yikes!

Apparently, I had set it to record every new episode of Scrubs, The Office and Smallville back in 2007.  And it has continued to do so ever since.  I deleted all the shows and that freed up 170GB.   That's like 3 GB per HOUR.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Windows Media Center sucks...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »
Not so much WMC as it is the settings you had it on.....i mean if you just tell it to record all the shows and you have it on high quality then yea, its going to suck up disk space...
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Windows Media Center sucks...
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 11:18:41 AM »
My gbPVR took about 2GB an hour for episodes. It filled up my disk pretty quick with just a few show seasons.

Gotta get that setup again. But since hulu and other websites are around, I've found less of a need for my own DVR setup.
This signature intentionally left blank.