Author Topic: Resume Article  (Read 1690 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Resume Article
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:01:02 AM »
Do those of you that hire have any quibbles with this articles main points?

http://lifehacker.com/5934177/what-resume-items-can-kill-my-chances-at-getting-a-new-job

What Resume Items Can Kill My Chances at Getting a New Job?

Long, Unnecessary Objective Statements - I agree

Unwanted Personal Details - I agree

Every Single Job You've Ever Had - I mostly agree.  Some folks need every single job.

Long Lists of Irrelevant "Special Skills" - I agree.

"References Available Upon Request" - I agree!!

Lies - No.  It should mostly be lies and BS.  Kidding.  I agree.

Optional: Jobs You've Been Fired (Not Laid Off) From - Personally somebody being fired  is not always a negative.  Often it has no influence on my decision at all.  I might say leave it off if you cannot communicate the reasons in a positive/constructive fashion.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Resume Article
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »
What Resume Items Can Kill My Chances at Getting a New Job?

Long, Unnecessary Objective Statements - Objectives should be omitted altogether.

Unwanted Personal Details - I agree

Every Single Job You've Ever Had - you should only list your last three jobs (or jobs you held in the past 7 years). If you want to list more, just give company, position, and dates worked. I don't like chronic company changers. If you had more that 5 jobs in the past 7  years there better be a good story behind it.

Long Lists of Irrelevant "Special Skills" - I hate when people do that. Some list shit like "browse the internet", or "ipad" - wtf?! if you don't have relevant skills, don't fluff up your resume with BS.

"References Available Upon Request" - I don't care either way

Lies - there is really no way of telling if things are lies or not before an in person resume. If I have a feeling that a candidate is making shit up, they go into the "no" pile

Optional: Jobs You've Been Fired (Not Laid Off) From - I never seen that

I'm conducting interview in Ohio on Tuesday :)
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Resume Article
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
I agree with everything knuck said except the job history one.  I want a person's full work experience in front of me.  It gives them more character.