Author Topic: Mission of Burma  (Read 14904 times)

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Mission of Burma
« on: May 19, 2005, 09:07:51 AM »
I guess I could've PM'd ygf, 'cause I think he's a fan, but can anyone recommend any of their albums for a first purchase? I picked up a compilation with one of their tracks - something "Academy" is the name of the track...sorry, can't recall the actual title.  I think it's from a best of called "Mission Accomplished" or something along those lines.  I really liked the sound of the track, very post-punk (whatever that means), angular at any rate..

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
Mission of Burma
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 02:50:50 PM »
i am a fan... i'd recommend getting one of either
signals, calls, and marches
vs
onoffon

the first two have been released with the 2 and 4 track singles attached to the end of them, but for all intents and purposes they're full albums. signals calls and marches has "academy fight song" and a few other good ones. (REM did a cover of academy fight song, btw, and moby covered another one from that disc)

basically, the first is more punky and simpler than vs, and onoffon is broader and more hard rock than vs. i personally like vs better, just because it's longer and it's an experience every time you listen to it. onoffon is a cd they made after reuniting after 22 years, which had an impact on the musical tastes of the band members, so the tracks are more different from each other than on vs.

overall, i'd say get signals, calls, and marches, since it's probably cheaper (technically being an EP), and has songs i'm sure you'll like on it. if you like the cd, flip a coin and purchase one of the other two albums available.

i don't think there's a difference between sending a pm and starting a thread about something only i'm gonna know about. it was probably a good thing just to have started a thread since this way other people can read about something that may be mildly interesting to them. just my 2 cents.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Mission of Burma
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 08:49:12 PM »
thanks man, I'll check those out :)

>>i don't think there's a difference between sending a pm and starting a thread about something only i'm gonna know about.<<

I was being rhetorical actually...

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Mission of Burma
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 08:42:11 AM »
I picked up "A Gun to the Head: a selection from the ace of hearts era" - it's a 16-track mix of the "best" songs from Signals, Calls & Marches, Vs., and The Horrible Truth About Burma.

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
Mission of Burma
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 02:02:59 PM »
i don't like "best of" cd's just on matter of principle, but good luck with that.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Mission of Burma
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 07:17:49 PM »
I don't really have a problem with them - they're just a sampler.