Author Topic: Crappy 80s recording  (Read 10736 times)

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
Crappy 80s recording
« on: July 12, 2005, 09:22:38 AM »
For ages ive tried to learn to play 'One' by Metallica but its impossible because i cant HEAR the bass in the song! Like not at all...any ideas how i can set my equaliser or something to hear the bass better?
i have a stationary fetish

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Crappy 80s recording
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »
The bass parts on AJFA were more or less totally stripped out of the final mix.  Short of having the master tapes, no EQ setting will fix this.  Try to find a live recording (the one from S&M springs to mind) and you'll hear the bass parts as intended.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
Crappy 80s recording
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 10:58:09 AM »
oh ok, but do you know why they were? Just out of curiosity
i have a stationary fetish

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
Crappy 80s recording
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 11:58:37 AM »
because the producer was stupid?

i don't think it was intentional. I think if a bass-version existed they would have released a special edition or a remastered version by now.

or they could do what suicidal tendencies did and just replay the whole album in the studio. Somehow they'd find a way to fuck it up though, and make a st.anger-type steaming pile out of it.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Crappy 80s recording
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 04:12:21 PM »
I never really listened for the bass parts before, just a quick Google search and I found this (who knows if it's at all accurate):
http://www.bassmasta.net/m/metallica/133222.html

I'll take a listen and see what I hear when I get home. Maybe I'll have to get my bass back from my dad.
This signature intentionally left blank.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Crappy 80s recording
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 07:33:34 PM »
>>i don't think it was intentional. I think if a bass-version existed they would have released a special edition or a remastered version by now.<<

Yes it was.  Lars more or less demanded the bass parts be removed from the album and Jason has said since "I'd rather play in an all-Elvis covers band" when asked about how he felt about the album.  There's not a lick of his bass work to be heard.

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
Crappy 80s recording
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 09:50:04 PM »
huh, that's interesting... i didn't know there was so much hatred between them

i came across this when googling your quote: http://www.ipom.com/quotes/Quotes.html