Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Food and Naked Yodeling / Re: Vacuum Seal
« Last post by Jake on Today at 07:58:45 AM »
The costco one is the one we have. Just an 8lder model, we got our like 3 years ago. It is decent, but not great. It does a good enough job of sucking air out of bags with dry food, but when you have any type of  moisture, it "sucks". Even with the "moist" option selected, I have to go through the process 3 or 4 times to achieve the result I want. So as soon as the vac cycle ends and right as it starts sealing, I turn it off and start another vac cycle.

I had an old foodsaver before that had a "more" button. Pressing it extended the vac cycle. It was awesome.

Other than that it is fine.

Is it the way to go? For some things, yes, but only if you end up using what's in your freezer instead of buying fresh because it is more convenient.
Food and Naked Yodeling / Vacuum Seal
« Last post by micah on Today at 01:00:56 AM »
was gonna ask this in the "canning" thread but curious if any of you own/use a vacuum sealer?

google says the way to go is "foodsaver" brand.  Seems like Costco has reasonable deals to get the machine and starter "bags"

I'm a family of 5 now and we have a second freezer in the basement.... should I be buying in bulk and air-vac'ing/freezing?  Seem's like the way to go but, what are the pros and cons
Photography/Video/Movies & TV / Re: TWD
« Last post by ober on October 13, 2021, 02:58:38 PM »
We stopped after 8... sorta felt like it jumped the shark and so many people were leaving the show.
Photography/Video/Movies & TV / TWD
« Last post by Jake on October 13, 2021, 02:24:29 PM »
Any of you guys still watching?

last season was complete shit. I think it is because of COVID and that they wanted to limit the amount of people working on each episode. I mean, it was so bad I didn't want to start watching this season...but I'm glad I did. So far, it is outstanding! similar in feel to the early seasons. Loving it.
Open Discussion / Re: Facebook
« Last post by Mike on October 12, 2021, 09:34:45 PM »
« Last post by Mike on October 12, 2021, 03:28:06 PM »
I did just realize that my vim is essentially dark mode since command line stuff has traditionally been with a black/dark background.

But, websites need to get their shit together if they are gonna offer an alternative theme!
« Last post by Mike on October 12, 2021, 02:52:10 PM »
Working in a dark room with a bright screen is really harsh on the eyes and on the depression.

I'd work outside in the full sun if it wasn't for the glare on the screens and you know the weather itself.
« Last post by hans on October 12, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »
Wait are we taking things seriously again? I thought all of this was joke posting about controversial dev things.
« Last post by ober on October 12, 2021, 02:05:18 PM »
Do you work in the dark like an idiot or in a properly illuminated room?
I work in a properly lighted room (my office) but I prefer it to be on the darker side.  I'm not sure why 'working in the dark' makes anyone an idiot, FWIW.  When I work at night I don't have any lights on.  I'm not sure why that matters when it comes to personal preference?
« Last post by hans on October 12, 2021, 01:43:13 PM »
Oh man for my new gig they were showing me around the Mac dev environment and asked me to edit something. I've only worked on Windows for 20 years and I was so lost. I never liked vi when I was in college (I used Joe!) and I'm too old to learn now but the instructions were all using vi so I was screwed.

Didn't they have VSCode installed? I mean doesn't everyone have VSCode these days?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10