Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 7983 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Facebook
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 07:54:58 AM »
Looks interesting, but only marginally cheaper than Verizon and they don't fully support iPhones so that's a no for me.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 08:57:25 AM »
I've been using Google Fi for awhile now and it is pretty great.  And was much cheaper for my use.

iPhone
I recently got an iPhone for work and I find my Android phone much nicer to use than the Apple (even without the physical button on the Android).

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 09:58:08 AM »
I've used Android's off and on over the years and I just don't see the appeal.  Plus my whole family is sort of embedded in the Apple infrastructure and services that it would be difficult for me to pull out of that.  A lot of people that I work with keep telling me that Android is better but no one seems to be able to point to specific reasons.  Even my boss, who is a hardcore nerd and has been an Android fanboy, has said he has considered switching to an iPhone.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 10:03:36 AM »
I have an iPhone X and it works perfectly fine.  By them not yet *fully supporting", it means you have to get your voicemails from the Google Fi phone app instead of from the voicemail feature. But it does email transcription and text transcription.  (of the voicemails)

At any rate, I gotta imagine it will improve as time goes on.  The service is relatively new.

And echo Mike... it should be much cheaper than Verizon, depending on use.  It is definitely much cheaper for my use - heh.  Verizon internationally is very expensive.  I use the $20 plan because I am usually on WiFi and I have a primary sim that provides me unlimited data... so basically I get phone and text on a US number for 20 bucks per month internationally.

Interestingly enough, you can only activate google fi from within the continental US (and maybe Canada and Mexico), and they detect all the common VPN services. (I tried several.)  I built my own openvpn server at aws and was able to activate my phone by connecting to my computer wifi sharing which was connected to the openvpn server in Ohio. It is a bit of a cheat, but I was no longer in the US when I found out about this service.  Otherwise I would have had to wait until I was back in the US for a company event to activate the phone - heh.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:18:36 AM by Betazep »
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2021, 10:09:32 AM »
I am an Android to Apple convert for sure.  Iphones are solid pieces of technology - that maybe get a bad wrap because of the behavior of some Apple enthusiasts.  They just work... and have consistency that works well for my family.  Android has gotten better with backups and restores, phone transfers etc... but it used to be pretty rough for people.  If I give my wife a new phone, it is for her purposes... just like her old phone but faster and a few tweaks.  (e.g. face recognition instead of fingerprint)  This is really good for her and my kids.  Plus Apple TV is a gem that started out as a turd.  Some fantastic shows on there...
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2021, 10:15:20 AM »
If you have an Iphone that supports physical and eSIM eg the X and onward, you can ask verizon to unlock your phone to use the eSIM with another provider and try Google Fi on the eSIM.  (gives you a second phone line on your cell phone)  Then you can turn off one line or the other and do testing.  (e.g. speed tests and things)  Of course you can keep both lines on at the same time... you just select which one is your primary for voice, text, and data.

So you can actually try for a month for $20 before deciding if switching is worth it.  Plus it is kind of fun having two lines.  :)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2021, 11:21:43 AM »
I've used Android's off and on over the years and I just don't see the appeal.  Plus my whole family is sort of embedded in the Apple infrastructure and services that it would be difficult for me to pull out of that.  A lot of people that I work with keep telling me that Android is better but no one seems to be able to point to specific reasons.  Even my boss, who is a hardcore nerd and has been an Android fanboy, has said he has considered switching to an iPhone.

There is no one thing honestly.  One of my big ones is the customization of screen layout and widgets is much better on my pixel than on the iPhone.  I find the navigation between apps much easier.  But at the end of the day they are more similar than different.

I think family is a big one.  If you all are using facetime and the like then yeah switching is hard.  My family doesn't.  We call or text.  We don't have giant group texts.  So being the odd one out is fine for me.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2021, 11:50:36 AM »
Yeah good points.  I am far from a technology purist.  It kind of comes down to what you land on and make work for you and family.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2021, 11:51:14 AM »
Oh, also the notification screen for emails and chats is far better on my android than on iPhone.  For one thing, if I open the app and mark it as unread the notification goes away on android whereas iPhone keeps it up until I clear the notification itself.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2021, 11:57:11 AM »
The best thing about android when I had it was on a rooted phone and being able to run many android systems. That was a super fun experience. There is more I can nerd out on in Android.  I guess technically you can root an iPhone, but I don't bother.  They are so expensive when new, and I want to maintain support - the risk/reward isn't great.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2021, 12:06:19 PM »
I have always had Android phones and loved them, anytime my family asked for iPhone tech support I really couldn't figure out how to use the damn thing.

But recently I switched to iPhone because work pays for it. It took a few months but now I'm a complete convert. Even if I changed jobs I'd probably buy an iPhone now, despite the price....

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2021, 01:30:07 PM »
I have unlimited plans for all 4 of our family phones on Verizon.  Each plan is $35/mo... pisses me off that you don't get a discount for multiple lines.  For the same thing on Google Fi, that's $30/mo.  So is it worth the switch for $20/mo?  Probably not.

@mike - you still feel the same about the layout even with the changes in iOS 14 from a year ago?  You have widgets and stuff now.  I realize it's lagging behind Android a lot and still not as good as Android but I frankly don't care about that feature.  And I think the navigation between apps has gotten better, especially with gestures and stuff.  I also don't really have the notifications issues you mention.  It actually works how I would expect (the ones that do stay are the ones I want to stay).. and I know some of it is app or settings specific so maybe it's just a config thing.

I use facetime primarily when my kids aren't answering texts.  We don't really call family on it that often... maybe once in a while with my parents.

I have rooted my iPhone back in the day but I don't really have a reason to anymore.  Most of the reasons I was rooting are now basic features of the phone.

I also just upgraded all of us to iPhone 13 about a week ago.  They won't be here for a bit but the deals were too good to pass on.  And all of us were many generations behind:

Me: iPhone X
Wife and daughter: iPhone 8 plus
Son: iPhone 6s

I was really only looking to upgrade my son but I couldn't pass up the offer.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2021, 04:21:24 PM »
@mike - you still feel the same about the layout even with the changes in iOS 14 from a year ago?  You have widgets and stuff now.  I realize it's lagging behind Android a lot and still not as good as Android but I frankly don't care about that feature.  And I think the navigation between apps has gotten better, especially with gestures and stuff.  I also don't really have the notifications issues you mention.  It actually works how I would expect (the ones that do stay are the ones I want to stay).. and I know some of it is app or settings specific so maybe it's just a config thing.
I'm comparing it against my work iPhone which is 14.7.1.  There are two widgets that I use a lot: Google Calendar and Keep.  On Android I can control the height and width whereas on iPhone it is 4 wide by 2 high and that's it.  Would rather have it 2 wide and 4 high so I can see more than two agenda items.  On busy days the widget is really helpful.

For app switching, on my Android I can swipe left/right at the bottom of the screen to switch between apps.  Really handy when I need to toggle between a couple apps.  Both have the carousel of apps but this is a bit faster.

I could see it being a config and that is a good call out.  And I have to admit that some of it could be Google not making their Apple version as good as their Android version since those two don't always place nicely with each other.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2021, 05:08:41 PM »
Swiping up to see data between apps is easy enough but yeah what you're describing sounds better.  I agree that I wish the widgets could be different sizes.  I usually have 10-15 meetings/day and only knowing the next 2 is kinda useless.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2021, 09:40:23 PM »
Uh huh... pull out your total bill.  :)