Author Topic: power/outlet networking  (Read 7025 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
power/outlet networking
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:14:05 AM »
Actiontec

Anyone have any experience with these?  I wonder what the actual transfer rates are.  I guess you just run a cord from your router into one end and plug another device in from any other room in the house?  And it doesn't matter if it's on another electrical circuit?  This just seems so fucking cool.  I just wonder if it compares to wired ethernet.

The reason I ask is because I need to decide between this option or a wireless G connector for my new Tivo when I order it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
Re: power/outlet networking
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
Read some of the 1 and 2 star reviews (and even one of the 5 star reviews) and now I'm concerned about being on different circuits because the results seem to be mixed.  I might be just as well off getting a wireless G adapter (I currently use a wireless B adapter but I'm not streaming Netflix over that... my Netflix goes through my Wii which is G and we haven't had any problems with that).  I'd go the N route but I don't have a wireless N router (I did but returned it because it was fucking awful).

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »
Plasterer networks gets great reviews.

One of our gaming clan members liked it too.

http://www.plasternetworks.com/

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:22:49 PM »
Interesting.

I think in the end I'll probably just go wireless.  But I will definitely investigate this if I ever extend my network to my basement.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
Never used it, but some people like it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
Wireless sucks balls.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
Wireless sucks balls.

How so? I have four computers using wireless N with no stability or speed issues at all. My main laptop screams
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
Maybe you are just special.  Seriously though...

Wireless cuts out for no reason at all it can be great for 6 months and then lose all signal until the password is reset, or the router is rebooted, or a million other things.   I use it on my wife's PC because she doesn't freak when it gives her issues.  I could not live with that on my pc.  Period.  If you want dependable get a wired connection.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
The main thing I'm concerned about is streaming Netflix over the wireless and that has worked flawlessly for us using the Wii so I have no reason to think it would be any different with the Tivo.  I also stream movies over a Wireless B connection and 90% of the time it transfers fast enough that I can start playing as soon as it starts transferring and it never catches up.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
The only stability issue i ever had was 4 years ago and stemmed from a bad router

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
You have IMO been lucky.  I and those I deal with in the PC world regularly spew hate over their wireless misadventures.  I think the number one bitch is the lack of reliability.  One day it works the next it doesn't.  Another major bitch with laptops and other portable devices is how picky the device placement can be.  For instance works on one end of the couch or the other but not the middle sort of thing.  Again.  IMO if you want a dependable reliable connection use a wire.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »
I have fixed a lot of problematic wireless networks but i don't blame the technology. In my experience it's often avoidable interference. It used to be (and still can be) that the equipment operates on common frequencies as other electronics or even other networks. Too many people use their routers out of the box, where I take the time to adjust the settings to avoid conflicts as well as set the equipment up where it has plenty of breathing room and away from all my other computer crap.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:50:25 PM »
Obes.  Talked to the gamer in the clan with the Plasterer deal and after a year it still gets a perfect score.  No issues at all.  Said it is about the same as being plugged into the router for FPS gaming.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »
If I was using it for gaming, I'd probably definitely do something like that.  But I'm with RoD.  No issues with my wireless, even streaming Netflix.  And my wife uses her laptop all over the downstairs and my router is upstairs.  No problems.

I also second the statement about the right hardware and the right configuration.  My Linksys died a few years ago and I went through 2 others (one netgear, one belkin) and both of them sucked balls.  So I went back to Linksys.  I got the one RoD recommended (WRT54G?) with DD-WRT preinstalled off of eBay.  I changed some frequencies and adjusted the settings somewhat and haven't had trouble since then.  It runs perfectly.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 09:24:24 AM »
Obes.  Talked to the gamer in the clan with the Plasterer deal and after a year it still gets a perfect score.  No issues at all.  Said it is about the same as being plugged into the router for FPS gaming.
One more question... is he using it on different circuits in the house?  How far is he from the source to the device?