Author Topic: Smartphones  (Read 7647 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Smartphones
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 08:24:52 AM »
I have a Blackberry Bold and it sucks donkey dick.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 08:44:37 AM »
Yea the BB will soon be no more. They just can't hang on or catch up.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 08:55:33 AM »
I fucking hope so so my company has to change to iphones or android

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
Thats's really all that saves them the past few years. Their attempts to catch up have been horrible, and their same old thing doesn't cut it anymore. But they are cheap and powerful* enterprise phones and companies whore them out.

*powerful in what they are, not compared to todays standards.

And holy hell I don't miss waiting 20 minutes for it to turn on.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »
I have a Droid 2 with verizon and am very happy with it. I picked that over Droid X mainly because of the real keyboard. Droid 3 is out right now and if I had to upgrade I think I would get it - but the new razr looks good too.

I do like the idea of the keyboard on the Droid 3. I have one on my LG dumbphone right now and use it exclusively when I need to type.  I'm sure, with patience and practice, I could eventually cope with touchscreen keyboards but in general I don't like them. 

I made the mistake of reading through the negative reviews of the Droid 3 on verizon's website. Lots of bitching about the battery life and random crashes and funky hardware.  I know reviews tend to always be skewed towards the angry people but they often scare me away from stuff. I guess I should read the reviews on the other phones too... I'm sure everyone bitches about everything.

My wife has the Droid X.  She loves it (although, it does crash and/or reboot on her every once in a while)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 12:43:01 PM »
everyone bitches about battery life. they have no concept of the power consumption and why

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »
Battery life is pretty piss poor as compared to a "regular" phone. I keep gps and wifi off unless i need it and still have to charge at least once a day. What kills me is my work email; i have it set on a continous sniff.

The recent android upgrade which verizon released helped battery life significantly.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »
Battery life is pretty piss poor as compared to a "regular" phone. I keep gps and wifi off unless i need it and still have to charge at least once a day. What kills me is my work email; i have it set on a continous sniff.

The recent android upgrade which verizon released helped battery life significantly.

thats good to know about the OS helping battery.  I'm sorta planning on using my wifi alot (like at home and work) so as to not worry about overages on my dataplan. 
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »
Battery life is pretty piss poor as compared to a "regular" phone.

Of course, it's a mini computer that is constantly doing something with a tiny battery. Overall my phone does great. I charge it at night (sometimes I forget), only other time is when I'm using it as a router.

As for the OS, the companies are finally starting to include the improvements that the hackers are making into their own releases. With my Tmobile OS it was "eh", running on Team Whiskey with CwM Voodoo it lasts forever.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »
Personally, I still push people towards iPhones.  I think their battery life is far superior to any Android phone.  And with iOS 5, they did a lot of catching up in terms of notifications and stuff.  And I still think the app store is vastly superior for the iPhone although the Android Market improves every day.

My wife has a Droid Pro, which has the keyboard.  She seems to like it but the latest Android update actually made her battery life worse.  From reading on the net, I need to do a factory reset and she should be fine.  I might try to do that this week.

Do NOT read the reviews on Verizon's site.  Those people are fucking morons and only bitch about the battery life.  99% of them have no idea what to expect when it comes to battery life, especially the jackasses coming from a dumbphone.

Again, I'd push you towards an iPhone, but that's just me. 

I'm not sure why you'd avoid using your minutes through Verizon unless there is a specific reason.  They have mobile to mobile and your off-hours calling.  So using up your minutes should only be a concern if you have people on other networks that you call a lot.  And even then, if you get the family calling plan, you can choose like 5 people or something from ANY network.  Hell, if you and the other person have an iPhone, you don't even use txt messaging because it automatically uses the new iPhone to iPhone messaging system (similar to the old BB messaging).

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »
>> I think their battery life is far superior to any Android phone

I bailed during IOS4, but I used to charge my iphone constantly. It practically lived on the charger, so I have to disagree.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 12:40:31 AM »
I would say I use mine moderately to heavy and it could easily last on a charge for 2 days, even with some minor GPS usage.  And my 3GS is 2 years old.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 01:01:34 AM »
Maybe mine was just shit

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 01:23:33 AM »

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 01:50:16 AM »
>> It practically lived on the charger<<

I used to do that until someone told me that leaving it on the charger so long is actually bad for the battery.

So now I only charge it when I get the message that the battery is gonna die, or I let it die out and then I charge it.  Using that method, i only charge it about once every 3 to 4 days.

I keep a charger at home, work and in the car so I'm never too far away from one.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez