Author Topic: big brother  (Read 5479 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
big brother
« on: February 21, 2020, 04:20:02 PM »
A couple weeks ago I took the kids to the Chicago Auto Show. I was really impressed with the Hyundai Palisade - their new three row SUV. To the point I would consider it as my next car. Anyway, I talked about it with my wife, and with my friend over g-talk. I went on cars.com to see what is available as well - I do not have an account there. that was within a day or two of the actual show. Nothing more after that. A couple days ago I get a mailer from Hyundai about the Palisade. WTF? I did not fill anything out, I haven't owned a Hyundai for almost 20 years. Coincidence?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: big brother
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 04:46:06 PM »
 :tinfoil: A mailer from Hyundai Hyundai or a Hyundai dealer?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 08:01:12 PM »
You realize that there are enough tracking cookies on you at all times that they can figure out who you are and cars.com probably has deals with all the major car brands, right?  It's not some wizardry.  It is just the evolution of tracking. 

Along these lines, my wife was using snapchat not long ago and for some reason we were talking about outlets while she was using the app.  The very next day or maybe even the same day, there was a filter for an outlet face.  Motherfuckers listening in does bother me but fascinates me at the same time.  This is why I don't have a smart speaker in my house (I have one that I got for free but it's not plugged in).

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 08:40:05 PM »
:tinfoil: A mailer from Hyundai Hyundai or a Hyundai dealer?

Hyundai hyundai
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 09:20:18 AM »
A couple weeks ago I took the kids to the Chicago Auto Show. I was really impressed with the Hyundai Palisade - their new three row SUV. To the point I would consider it as my next car. Anyway, I talked about it with my wife, and with my friend over g-talk. I went on cars.com to see what is available as well - I do not have an account there. that was within a day or two of the actual show. Nothing more after that. A couple days ago I get a mailer from Hyundai about the Palisade. WTF? I did not fill anything out, I haven't owned a Hyundai for almost 20 years. Coincidence?

One of the nicest vehicles on the road for the form factor.  FYI there is a Hyundai sponsored YT channel that watches what you eat for lunch. 

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 09:44:24 PM »
Maybe it's just me but I consider Hyundai to be in the same league as Kia.  Some of their cars look good but they're not built with quality stuff.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 06:01:33 AM »
What do you mean quality stuff?  Comparing to their direct price competition.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 08:38:28 AM »
Like you can tell the difference when you close the door on a Honda vs a Hyundai.  Hyundai's typically have more road noise and they just feel like they're built with cheaper materials.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 09:05:28 AM »
Like you can tell the difference when you close the door on a Honda vs a Hyundai.  Hyundai's typically have more road noise and they just feel like they're built with cheaper materials.

I feel like this is the old Hyundai. But over the last ~5 years or so they've redesigned everything. Quality wise I'd put the "feel" on par with Honda and Toyota. Only time will tell if the quality really holds up, but they offer longer warranties than both Honda and Toyota so at least they have confidence in the longevity of their product.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 10:00:12 AM »
That's good to know.  I looked at a Santa Fe years ago and just wasn't impressed.  We ended up with another Honda.  We really are a Honda family at this point.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »

100% disagree.  I'm on my 6th hyundai and its a great car.  I've also owned 2 Subaru and a honda minivan. (plus there was that  time I had a shitty used chevy equinox lemon).  The first Subaru was great. I've never liked the minivan but I'ved loved all of my Hyundais. 
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 06:37:46 AM »
Hyundai, KIA, and Subaru have come a long way.  I still am not a fan of the choice of KIA or Hyundai factory tires, get a better set immediately if you get one is my advice.  Actually, same for Lexus for different reasons.  Sube has made solid strides but lacks, from what I see, long term reliability.  Like Merc, BMW, VW, Jag, Volvo, Ford, and Chrysler,the constant need to deal with minor to major BS is annoying.  The real garbage IMO is GM, Fiat and Cooper.  Ugh.  Not for me.

We run Lexus because they never lost quality and their warranty and customer care are second to none.  Cost for service on the Lexus brand is really in line with Toyota and Honda.  We also (usually) drive our vehicles ~200K and 11-14 years.  We recently replaced Laura's 2014 VW Golf with a 2019 Lexus RX.  Normal warranty would have been bumper to bumper out to June 2025, but we paid for the extension so we are BB out until June 2030.  Unlimited miles.  My 2015 LS is still under BB until 2026.  When we get a service they drive out drop off a Lexus for us to have during the service.  Free of rental charges and for as long as we have a Lexus.  Having had four now the reliability is just stunning, thus how they get away with their warranties.  Resale is solid too.

The, new to us, RX is a hybrid.  It is odd to have a vehicle of that size getting 29 in the city and 24 on average.

All sold at ~200K
Lexus 1 - 0 issues
Lexus 2 - 1 issue at 165K - Alternator that they actually called to offer me an aftermarket part that was better, cost less, and had the same warranty.  Wow.

Current Lexus 3 - Door locking module issues.  Repaired under warranty.  60K.
Current Lexus 4 - Nothing but hey its newish

Oh and we never buy cars on appearance or color alone.  If it is a good deal and is a good vehicle so be it.  we can use that savings towards the next major purchase.  Like we wanted a used 2020, but caught this one as a THREE owner vehicle already which saved us all in all a ton of cash.  Original owner was "too big" to get up into an SUV the second owners went from car and truck to SUV only and wanted a car and truck after a few miles.  We win.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 10:35:29 PM »
The value you get with that palisade is unreal. No other vehicle in its class comes with that much safety features and cool tech for that price - most don't even have it available. I did not ride it, but I sat in it - quite comfortable, even for me.

But realistically I don't see myself getting anything other than a full size pickup now that I've owned one. Speaking of which, my truck will be 3 years old at the end of march and I have 95K miles. I was tempted to go trade it in, but I've lost too much money on trading in cars too soon in the past to I decided to drive this one into the ground. I wonder if I can make it :)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 10:36:17 PM »
All sold at ~200K
Lexus 1 - 0 issues
Lexus 2 - 1 issue at 165K - Alternator that they actually called to offer me an aftermarket part that was better, cost less, and had the same warranty.  Wow.

Current Lexus 3 - Door locking module issues.  Repaired under warranty.  60K.
Current Lexus 4 - Nothing but hey its newish

I'm not a lexus/toyota fan but holy shit that is impressive.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 11:18:12 AM »
hey knuck, what Lexus SUV would you recommend?