Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 64999 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2020, 11:24:19 AM »

Meanwhile, the news from Italy, another country with a highly developed medical system, has so far been shockingly bad. In the affluent region of Lombardy, for example, there have been 7,375 confirmed cases of the virus as of Sunday. Of these patients, 622 had recovered, 366 had died, and the majority were still sick. Even under the highly implausible assumption that all of the still-sick make a full recovery, this would suggest a case fatality rate of 5 percent—significantly higher, not lower, than in China.
Note that 5% is 50 times worse than the flu.

makes you wonder how skewed the data from China was/is - they are reporting a lower death rate then we are seeing.

Also, did you guys see the numbers coming out of Russia - those guys are so fucked up. only 20 cases - yeah right.

With what I'm reading I'm feeling like being proactive and canceling or postponing events is the right way to go. Obviously that's a hardship for some but I think in the long run it will save lives.

agreed. But where do you draw the line? I reserved 3 days at a water park in a couple of weeks for Spring Break - I'm considering canceling that - but should I? I bet there will be many people from Chicago and Minneapolis. Or maybe they will all cancel and we'll have the place to our selves.

I also have some business travel scheduled for as soon as next week - I opted to drive (to Cleveland) in lieu of flying - but I am staying overnight at a hotel.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »
I just think Mike is already triggered by you for some reason.

I could say something like: "doesn't take a lot to trigger a snowflake!" - but I won't  :nana:

peace&love  :afro:
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
Ok boomer

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2020, 12:32:30 PM »
makes you wonder how skewed the data from China was/is - they are reporting a lower death rate then we are seeing.

There was a point in the article I linked. China locked down like crazy. Hubei converged at about 5%. The rest of China converged at .9%

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2020, 01:13:11 PM »
I just think Mike is already triggered by you for some reason.

I could say something like: "doesn't take a lot to trigger a snowflake!" - but I won't  :nana:

peace&love  :afro:

Lol I almost made a snowflake joke at the expense of the people who don't want to discuss their political positions but I thought nah... :p

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2020, 01:14:19 PM »
With what I'm reading I'm feeling like being proactive and canceling or postponing events is the right way to go. Obviously that's a hardship for some but I think in the long run it will save lives.

agreed. But where do you draw the line? I reserved 3 days at a water park in a couple of weeks for Spring Break - I'm considering canceling that - but should I? I bet there will be many people from Chicago and Minneapolis. Or maybe they will all cancel and we'll have the place to our selves.

I also have some business travel scheduled for as soon as next week - I opted to drive (to Cleveland) in lieu of flying - but I am staying overnight at a hotel.

I think there's a difference between individual behavior and community behavior. You want to try to avoid getting infected partly for yourselves and families but also to help slow the spread. But on an individual level I personally don't see a lot of risk with a business trip unless there is an outbreak. A family water park trip is more iffy since there are a lot of people there altogether.

To me the more important thing is for the community leaders to identify when it seems reasonable that the virus has entered that community and when it has, seriously consider canceling or postponing events and closing large gathering spots (like a water park). If it's open and you don't have any reason to think there is active infections in that area and you don't have any reason to think your family has been in contact with an infected person, then I wouldn't say you're wrong to go to the park. I'd probably skip it just to be safe, though.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2020, 01:21:19 PM »
There is also a critical mass element.  A gathering of 10s of thousands from all across the globe is a lot different than hundreds from the local community.  Cancelling things like GDC, SXSW, Emerald Comic Con, etc all make a lot of sense.  They gather a large number of people from a large region.  I wouldn't cancel a local D&D con that only pulls in the local community unless there was a clear directive to do so.  A former coworker has a cruise scheduled in a few weeks down to Mexico.  I personally wouldn't go.  Again, too many people from too far of a region.

But, if work needed me to go to SF to meet with a vendor I'd probably do like Jake and drive over.  Work still needs to get done.  So I'll do it in a way that reduces my exposure and potential spread.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »
I don't quite have that much luxury, but everyone is definitely ramping up their WFH.
One of the best jokes/observations I saw was basically "Now we get to find out which meetings really could have been an email"

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2020, 02:13:41 PM »
I just got a cold... so now I feel like a leper. If I cough in public I'm going to get stink-eyed to death.

on the other hand, I could have the virus for all I know (please disinfect after reading my post).

For now I'm working from home. Even if it's not COVID 19 it's better not to spread whatever it is I have to my co-workers.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 02:19:43 PM »
I just got a cold... so now I feel like a leper. If I cough in public I'm going to get stink-eyed to death.

on the other hand, I could have the virus for all I know (please disinfect after reading my post).

For now I'm working from home. Even if it's not COVID 19 it's better not to spread whatever it is I have to my co-workers.

get well soon!

they say it's more appropriate to fart in public now than it is to cough.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »
Wait, farting in public wasn't appropriate?  What am I suppose to do, hold it?

I feel ya, I'm just getting over a cold and the first day of symptoms was spent waiting at an airport.  Fortunately, I wasn't coughing theb

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2020, 04:40:57 PM »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2020, 05:02:21 PM »

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2020, 10:24:25 PM »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2020, 11:11:46 PM »
Trump has suspended travel to Europe: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/coronavirus-trump-suspends-all-travel-from-europe.html

yeah, holy shit. that's major.

is marshall law not far away if this shit doesn't stop. Here is hoping it gets unseasonably warm quick!