Author Topic: what wine goes with spiral glazed ham?  (Read 16470 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
what wine goes with spiral glazed ham?
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:06:34 AM »
I don't generally entertain but, since my office gives me a spiral ham every year at Christmas time I've decided to invite my parents and mother-in-law over sometime after Christmas for a "dinner party."

It probably wont be for another week but I'm in the planning stages now and cant think of what kind of wine to buy?

Of the 5 of us for dinner, only my father really "enjoys" wine, my step-mother doesn't drink and the rest of us drink it when its offered but aren't connoisseurs by any means.  none the less I'd still like to serve it.

So what wine goes with ham?  Its one of those pre-cooked spiral cut ones that comes in red foil with an attached packet of glaze you mix up and pour/brush on before heating.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: what wine goes with spiral glazed ham?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »
Ham is a very light sweet taste, so you never serve a heavy wine. Something semi-sweet, as you need a touch of bite to offset the sweet of the ham. That's the best way to satisfy the whole pallette.

Avoid red wine though some types like piot nior (spelling? Google it) is OK.

White wine is your best bet. Anything white ziphendel (spelling again) or anything rose should do great.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »
Maybe its pirt noir...I can't remember. I'm not a wine expert by any means but I have red a few books on pairing, wines, wine selection, etc.

If you google wine pairing or wine and ham pairing you should get a lot of hits. I'm confident most will say basically what I said.

Or if you can find it (sometimes hard) a cherry wine would be perfect!
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »
Beer

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:03:32 PM »
Beer doesn't compliment the ham. I perfer beer as well, but he's going for something a step up.

Of course you knew that, your just being difficult :p

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 01:04:16 PM »
I would go as far as to say that beer can complement more things than wine, actually.

Also, white zinfandel is crap.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:08:06 PM »
Beer does compliment more things then wine, but in the case of a meat that is naturally sweet and light in flavoring beer is like a heavy wine in its overpowering the flavors of the meat.

And white zifendel is nasty when its cheap (read less then 50-60.00 a bottle) but a quality white zifendel can be quite good. Its not my first choice ever, but with ham your options are limited. Of those options a quality white zifendel is most appropriate.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:12:45 PM »
Please don't listen to RoD about wine.

I can't stress this enough.  My friends would have you hanged and quartered for suggesting white zin.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 01:26:20 PM »
I could name a lot of better option but I'm working on the assumption that micah doesn't want to spend 250+ on a bottle of wine.

Its not really an opinion or pulled out of my ass, its simply the way social wine pairing is done. The problem is everyone thinks they are a wine expert, I don't. Society has a general guideline for pairing wine and food. These standards are formed by culinary professionals and others in like industry. I'm sure your friends have their experience and upbringing as well but I will stick with them, thanks.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »
Actually, you could pair beer with ham (just not your typical MGD). If you get the holiday pack of Sam Adams you'd probably be covered.

I might go with a Sauvignon Blanc though being a wine fan (although I'll drink a Cab/Merlot with anything).
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »
Adams is chosen a lot for light meats, but I will never understand it. Adams comes across very bitter to me (which may be the reason) and I really can't drink it. It may be me though because I find I don't like a lot of popular beer's.

And +1 on merlot, though I wouldnt personally pair it with ham or turkey. Steak and most chicken however it would be my first choice.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 01:31:15 PM »
I'd also consider a Pinot Noir, but Greg Norman Cab/Merlot is weapon of choice.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 01:32:19 PM »
Pinot noir!! That's it!!!

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »
Adams is chosen a lot for light meats, but I will never understand it. Adams comes across very bitter to me (which may be the reason) and I really can't drink it.

Depends on the variety. I've tried over dozen different kinds of Sam Adams and much like wines, they can be very distinct. Their Winter Lager might be a good choice for a lighter flavor.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 01:52:56 PM »
I don't think I have tried any other then the original and if I'm thinking correctly one that had an orange label. And that was at a halloween party last october (07) so it may be a seasonal or promotional