Nothing & Everything > Food and Naked Yodeling

Watches

(1/8) > >>

KnuckleBuckett:
Anybody into non-battery watches?

ober:
My dad has a Rolex that doesn't have a battery.  I used to wear a watch but after I realized that I basically wore it to and from places and that was about it, I stopped wearing one.  Sometimes I miss it but it was always bulky on my wrist and I have the time on my phone.

Perspective:
I had a solar powered citizen (so, not really non-battery, but you never have to replace the battery). It was great, lasted years and probably still works... wherever the hell it is....

hans:
I still have my grandfather's pocket watch. No battery.

KnuckleBuckett:
Been spending time learning about mechanical watches.  I still wear a watch on occasion when not working, however I don't want to deal with the battery hassle and my current watches suck.  Also it would be nice to have a very nice dress casual to dress watch.  I really like some of the watches from the 50s/60s but dig some of the current products as well.

Laura has a small collection of watches that I purchased for her over the years.  I just picked up her first mechanical.  It is a 1937 USA made Bulova back when they were quality timepeices.  I will attach a photo or two.  It has a nice build and I am curious as to what she thinks of it.  When it was new it was a mens watch, however there has been a drastic change in the sizes of watches since that time and it is the perfect size for her today.

Ben.  Though I don't find that they suit my tastes, Rolex is a pretty amazing brand.  Extreme durability, resale, popularity, and serviceability.  FYI if it has not been serviced and cleaned by a qualified Rolex repair shop in over 10 years it should be.  The lubricants fail and you get metal on metal wear or metal on sapphire wear.  Rolexes are high beat meaning that the internal workings move at a higher speed thus increasing that wear factor.  It is why Rolex second hands are smoother than many in their dial sweep.

The study/art of such things is called horology.  Pretty interesting stuff. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version